2004 Chevy impala wet carpet=no sound

Old 02-18-09, 12:18 AM
2004 Chevy impala wet carpet=no sound

I think my a/c is leaking into the car, because I see a puddle forming in the back seat well. Is it possible that the moisture is shorting out my speakers wires at all? Because all of the sudden i notice my radio powers on and functions without sound.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-09, 05:05 AM
Mike, it is possible for a water leak to short out the wiring harness. That being said, I do not think it is the ac leaking is causing a puddle in the back seat well. An ac leak will usually show up in the front passenger side floorboard, I am thinking your leak is mot likely rain water.

Last edited by wire twister; 02-18-09 at 05:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-09, 09:25 AM
re:water and possible short

thanks, wire twister. I'm inclined to think the same thing, however, i can't find any point of entry for the water--all the windows and sunroof have been closed securely. unless somehow water is somehow coming in from the undercarriage?!?!

also, do you think the short will resolve itself once the water dries out, or will I have to rewire the car?

Old 02-18-09, 09:29 AM
re: this is from my other post

wire twister, what do you say about this? Any thoughts?:
I recently installed an aftermarket radio in my 2004 chevy impala. I used the correct harnesses and adapters to mimic the original factory radio to preserve door chimes, etc. When the factory radio was in, it stayed on after shutting the ignition for a few minutes until you open the door (this is called retained accessory power and is normal). Now that I have installed the aftermarket radio, the aftermarket radio remains on even after the door is open--in other words, before I leave the car, I need to manually shut off the radio or it will play indefinitely.

Has anyone had this issue or know how to fix this issue??

Old 02-18-09, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Going back to the water issue; perhaps one of the drain lines for the sunroof channel is leaking inside the car.

Old 02-18-09, 07:38 PM
Thanks tow guy.
Do you think the water could short out speaker wires, causing me not to have any sound from my radio?

Old 02-18-09, 09:11 PM
Group Moderator
If it is I don't think I've ever heard of it before.

Old 08-01-09, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by Mike Wrack View Post
Thanks tow guy.
Do you think the water could short out speaker wires, causing me not to have any sound from my radio?
Yes. My sister-in-law asked me to look at her 2003 Impala because the radio appeared to work but no sound whatsoever. I did a little research and learned there are two orange power wires that run to the back to power the factory amp in the trunk. The first thing I did was get a test light to see if I had power to the orange wires where it plugs into the amp (in top of the trunk between the rear speakers). There was no power. Next I pulled all passenger side trim and lifted the carpet. It was damp underneath the carpet. I tested for power beside the front seat on the thick orange wire and I did have power. So I knew there was a short somewhere between the two spots I had tested. I ended up narrowing it down to a splice that is located inside that harness, right after the front seat. You'll have to remove a lot of very sticky and nasty tape to find it. There is a connector that takes one orange wire into two orange wires. That connection was very corroded due to the moisture. Cut it, add in a splice, and waterproof it as well you can with electrical tape. I can't remember how many for sure, but I know there were other splices at that same spot too. You should go ahead and repair them as well, even if everything seems to be working. Now I'm off to try to figure out where the moisture is coming from. Good luck!

IA_Chiefs_fan

Old 08-02-09, 08:22 AM
water

I f this is a four door check the weather strip on the door they have been known to leak. Sometimes the drain plugs will get ripped out of the floor but I doubt if this would let in enough water to puddle.

Old 06-26-10, 07:55 AM
Moisture in Passenger side front to rear floorboard

Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan View Post
I ended up narrowing it down to a splice that is located inside that harness, right after the front seat. You'll have to remove a lot of very sticky and nasty tape to find it. There is a connector that takes one orange wire into two orange wires. That connection was very corroded due to the moisture. Cut it, add in a splice, and waterproof it as well you can with electrical tape. I can't remember how many for sure, but I know there were other splices at that same spot too. You should go ahead and repair them as well, even if everything seems to be working. Now I'm off to try to figure out where the moisture is coming from. Good luck!

IA_Chiefs_fan
This was great investigative work on your part- this is most definitely where my "no sound" problem is coming from. Unlike you I figured out where the water was coming from before I figured out about the wires running under the carpet.

There's a post on another site that solved my other problem. The link is attached below :
Summary of the problem/ solution
The problem maybe : 1) the sealing strip at the base of the windshield had fallen off, and water running down the windshield would fall directly into the interior fresh air intake. 2) The factory installed interior air filter was missing allowing water to flow directly onto and through the fan motor and into the passinger floorboard. >You can search for posts that describe how to take the black piece of plastic off between the bottom of your windshield and your motor area under the hood. There are one or two plastic screws and 2 pull connectors,(just below passenger side wiper). When you remove this, You'll see the problem right away with the sealing strip... I used clear sealing caulk on the sealing strip to make sure it wont come off easily again...

2002 Impala LS leaks rain water - Topix

Old 05-14-12, 05:03 PM
Red face Another solution for a wet 2001 Impala

I also had a wet 2001 Impala, I thought it was the drivers side window molding. I kept redoing the silicone caulk I would apply as a fix. Still drops whenever it rained. Well one day I noticed my door was out further than the door post as you looked at the exterior of the car. The door bolt or whatever, the thing attached to the car that holds the door latch when it is closed. It loosened up so the door barely closed, it would freely move. I found that this is just a screwed in bolt that was probally not set at the correct depth from the factory. I adjusted it so the door closed tightly, the door was in about an 1/8" from the door post. No more leaks, even in a car wash, Amazing. No need to resilicone, it just stopped the leak completely. Hope this helps someone.
Now to find the bad connection for my radio!

Old 07-19-14, 03:00 PM
2004 Impala, Wet carpet in rear passenger floor board, radio works but no sound

I had these same two issues. To see if I had the same problem with the wiring harness, and before pulling parts of the rear interior, I crawled into the trunk and strip a small section of insulation off the two orange power wires. I then ran a lead from them to the positive side of the battery. As soon as I touched the wire to the battery, the speakers came alive! I then knew for sure that I had the same issue with the wire harness. To do this simple test, it took me a quick 10 minutes. I then proceeded to remove the bottom section of the rear seat, took 2 minutes at most. I then pulled up the bottom molding for the right rear door, 30 seconds, I then popped the center post skin, 15 seconds. I then located the wiring harness, pulled it out of it casing, and located the orange wire and the corroded connector, 5 minutes. I cut the bad section of wire out and replaced it. 10 minutes at most. I taped the harness back together, put it back into it's nice little casing and tucked it back into place, put the carpet back down, snapped the molding back into place, and but the rear seat back in. Problem fixed, and all in less then 45 minutes. I then tackled the water leak problem by raising the wipers to their highest point, removed the right side(passenger) cow. saw the loose rubber seal and removed it, cleaned it and used clear silicone to reattach it in place. While I had it open I replaced the cabin or fresh air intake filter. I put everything back together and was done. This whole task took less then 20 minutes. So in less then 90 minutes I fixed two problems with this car. No special skills are needed to do this, it's an easy fix that just about anyone can do!