SUV stalling when stopped

Old 02-18-09, 04:36 AM
SUV stalling when stopped

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport with 61kmi. A Few weeks ago I had the timing belt, plugs, wires, water pump, etc replaced. Yesterday my wife tells me the car stalls when stopped. I took the car to work and after itís warmed up it will hesitate, rpmís drop and it will stall at a light or when stopped. Any ideas? Last time I worked on an engine it had points...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-09, 02:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Probably fuel pressure problem, either from a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump. I would start with replacing the fuel filter.

Old 02-18-09, 03:34 PM
Don't know about that. Would seem to me to have more fuel demand AT SPEED than at idle. If the pump was weak or the filter plugged it wouldn't want to spool up.....
First thing I'd do.... just for the heck of it..... would be to try a can of 3M throttle body cleaner. Check all vacuum hoses for breaks/leaks......THEN I'd have the shop that did the work recheck it. Could be the belt is off a tooth....could be a wire not seated right on a plug (Pray that it's on the side that ISN'T covered by the untake plenum)

Old 02-18-09, 05:41 PM
I agree with the wrench first thing to try is cleaning the throttle body, if that doesnt get it go back to the shop that did the work on it.

Old 02-19-09, 10:42 AM
heres the deal........ if vehicle was running ok before work was done then its the shops problem. if the idle speed seems a little lower at idle than before and maybe not as steady i would guess the valve timming is off 1 tooth that means timming belt was installed wrong also the top of motor has to be removed to change plugs so intake plenium could have a vacuum leak at the gasket also caused by crappy work at your shop

Old 02-19-09, 02:13 PM
I'ts been a long time since I looked at an engine but I found the throttle adjustment screw (I think that's what its called) and played with it. the idle was low so I thought I would raise it a hair. My wife said it seems to be running OK.

something must have happened when the top of the engine was replaced after changing the plugs. I also checked all the hoses and wires.

Thanks for all your suggestions...

Old 02-19-09, 04:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Could it be a loose spark plug? I had that problem with the stalling, my mechanic thought I was nuts due to no codes and ran fine until it happened to him and found a loose plug. Isn't 61K way premature for a water pump to go? On my Jetta it was just starting to go at 210,000 miles.

Search this Thread