1997 Subaru Legacy Outback

Old 02-18-09, 05:32 AM
1997 Subaru Legacy Outback

Seems the heat doesn't work when car is in idle position. but once you are moving it does start to throw off some heat, not great but some, also a slight smell of anti freeze can be smelled but i don't see where it's comming form and it isn't losing much at all, but it is losing some anti freeze. headgasket was repalaced two years ago now. please help this is the misses car. she has a son with autism she visits three nights aweek. and living in new england you need the idle heat just to clear the windows, never mind to keep warm as well. thank you guys. bob in rhode island

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-09, 06:06 AM
if the cooling system is a little low you will usually get the symptom of little to no heat at idle as it doesnt circulate through the heater core until the rpms are increased so would make sure that it is full for starters if you have a radiater cap actually check it there instead of the overflow jug when the car is not hot.
if you have a leak its going to continue to get low until its fixed may need to do a pressure test on the cooling system to find it.

Old 02-18-09, 07:40 AM
1997 subaru legacy outback

i know the radiator is full, i constantly check it, i'm not sure on the presure of the system but it is presurizing because without the cap off it starts to overflow and once hot, if i release the presure valve on the radiator cap you get overflow into the overflow resivour.

Old 02-18-09, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
No Subie expert...but even if its full...has all the air been purged correctly? I would think that engine may have a special procedure to get all the air out???

The heat problem could also be caused by air in the system.

I agree...I think a dye check and pressure test are in order.

Old 02-18-09, 10:25 AM

yes when the head gasket was redone all the air would have been purged