Town Car Window Switch progblem

Old 02-20-09, 07:11 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Town Car Window Switch progblem

1999 Signature. Driver side window raise switch failing to operate at times. Got really bad. Figured it was only dirty contacts. Simple to fix, right? So I pulled the switch block out, carefully lifted the button top and cleaned the LF raise contacts. Reassembled and replaced. NOW no windows will move at all AND door locks won't work, either with the button or the remote. WHAT did I do?

I looked in the fuse/relay listings and do not see windows mentioned anywhere. How could I have blown a fuse anyway? Just unplugged the switch block, cleaned the contacts and re-plugged it. New Unit costs $126, BTW.

Looking at the unit, I suspect there is another layer in it, perhaps containing circuitry that auto lowers the LF window at a touch. Something has to do that feature. Should I delve further into the switch unit or what?

Old 02-21-09, 11:01 AM
D
I fixed it

And discovered a few things: the window control switches are in a module called the PCM (Power Control Module?) in the fuse book and is on fuse #4 under the hood. If you have window, door lock, remote, or trunk release failure, check this fuse. Mine was blown, because when I opened the PCM and cleaned the contacts (which WAS the original problem), I thought the LF window contact was warped a little so I bent it a little. Too much. When I reassembled the module, that contact was closed, so when I plugged in the plug that supplies power it blew the fuse. Finding no power to the module, I backtracked to the fuse, then with ohmmeter found that the LF switch was shorted. Took it apart again, fixed the contact, replaced the fuse and all is well. Whew! Dixieflash

Old 02-21-09, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Glad you found it! See you didn't need any help!

Old 02-21-09, 11:17 AM
D
Gunguy45, it was a case of

the operation was a success but the patient died! In repairing the contact I caused the fuse to blow.

Yeah, I'm glad it was fixable without having to buy a new PCM ($125 + tax). It isn't designed to be opened and repaired but it can be done with care.

It's good to know that help is just a keystroke away. Dixieflash

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: