Ford Escape Spark Plugs

Old 02-21-09, 10:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ford Escape Spark Plugs

Need to replace spark plugs in my 2003 Escape XLT V6. The tech manual says I need to remove the intake manifold. Anyone ever done this? If so how difficult was it?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-09, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
hmmmm...seems like Navydad did it not too far back...lemme see.

Ahhh here ya go....may want to PM one of these guys if you don't hear anything here.

http://forum.doityourself.com/automo...-problems.html

Old 02-21-09, 01:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dirtsnowman repied in that thread:

I agree to put plugs in it with the intake off. They take double platinums. Don't use autolites. they say compatible with ford but I see nothing but problems with them. Use motocraft. you can get those at wal-mart or autozone. they are cheaper than the dealer. If I were you I would just get a haynes manual, from advance auto or something. If you want something specific I could send you copies from a shop manual.

The o-rings can be done in like 20 minutes. All you have to do is remove the egr tube at the egr valve, 27mm. Remove the bracket holding the accell cable and cruise control cable. Disconnect the connectors on the back passenger side of the intake, remove all the 8mm intake bolts and just lift it up and pull it forward. put like a block of wood under it to hold it up. then just slap the new o-rings in and thats it.
I like the last 3 words that say, "and that's it". , or should I have put .

No way am I buying vehicles with such non-sense. The car manufacturers need to be taught a lesson, and make stuff DIY-able (and what if you jsut want to pull a plug quickly to check on it's condition! ??) so every little job does not cost you $600 as soon as you drive into the garage, or whatever.

Old 02-21-09, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post

No way am I buying vehicles with such non-sense. The car manufacturers need to be taught a lesson, and make stuff DIY-able (and what if you jsut want to pull a plug quickly to check on it's condition! ??) so every little job does not cost you $600 as soon as you drive into the garage, or whatever.
Then get yourself a bus pass & a bicycle my friend, because those days are long gone.

Old 02-21-09, 04:10 PM
There is a point being missed here........

The intake MANIFOLD need not be removed...only the UPPER PLENUM..(The plastic Part).. The "Block Of Wood" propped underneath saves you from completely removing the plenum from the vehicle.

Actually quite "Doityourself-able", with the proper info available and close by. A novice should be able to successfully remove the plenum and change the plugs within an hour or two.

Old 02-21-09, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks to all for the help. Looks like I should buy a set of upper gaskets when I buy the plugs. I will let you all know how it goes.

Old 02-21-09, 06:04 PM
Technically.....No.....

The plenum gaskets are rubber "Oring" type seals which are reusable...(At least Ford says so..) ..At any rate , they will likely be dealer only parts.

Old 02-22-09, 11:06 AM
you might as well change the plentum o-rings while you are there since it is 6 years old

Old 02-22-09, 01:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure if this applies or not. My VW mechanic has a tool that makes it unnecessary to take off the intake manifold. Not sure if it is for VW's only though.