Hole in muffler

Old 02-21-09, 03:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hole in muffler

Hello,

This might be a little cheap but can anyone tell me if you can fix a muffler with a hole in it. It of course is rusting but the rest of the piping is great and the muffler has a stainless steel end pipe! and is quite expensive!
Does a new muffler come with the end pipe?How do you tell what make it is before taking it off?

Old 02-21-09, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'd use Liquid Metal or muffler patch...(any auto parts store) to try to nurse it along. Unless its a dealer, doubt any replacement would be stainless tip. Good muffler shop could replace it and keep the tailpipe.

Old 02-21-09, 04:23 PM
Hi Gunguy,

Thanks for responding.You say nurse it along and that is about right.
Like most repairs, you wonder if it is worth fixing or just buying new! How long would this repair last maybe 6 months and a new one a couple years?
The New muffler will cost approx.$120 plus hanger cost and I install. I guess it is all money!! I can cut off the old tail pipe and mig weld it on to the new muffler as you don't want different tailpies coming out the back!
Seems like I talked myself into it.

Thanks

Old 02-21-09, 05:24 PM
D
Depending on location of the leak.. but even a muffler tape works. Not sure if a foil tape which is similar to duck tape but its designed for HVAC seam taping .. its designed to withstand about 400 degrees but it is very thin but a layer or 2 would work and its the appearance of a tin foil.. so it would semi match the muffler. Can be bought at Home Depot for about 10$ a roll ..

But if there is a leak before the muffler you could always get a piece of exhaust pipe can be bought at your local auto parts store usually about 8" long comes in all sizes... if your pipe is 2 inch outter... make sure you buy a piece that is 2" inner so the new piece goes right over the existing pipe... thats what Im about to do..

Old 02-21-09, 08:26 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
didn't they use to have a sleeve you could slide over the whole muffler.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: