Power steering squeals when turning left

Old 02-24-09, 06:57 PM
BSB
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Power steering squeals when turning left

1999 Windstar 3.8, 93k

I know there are a ton of power steering related issues out there (and in here) but I've not found many where the steering whines, growls, or just flat complains and vibrates when turning to the left. We had the steering squeak fixed last year (something about arms and or boots??) But now for some reason when you turn hard left the ps vibrates and or whines until the van has been shut down for a while.

Fluid is full, color is clear, turning is not jerking or slipping, it just makes a lot of noise when turning to the left.

Thanks all.

Brian

Old 02-24-09, 07:20 PM
Ford and P/S noise go hand in hand. I dont recall offhand if your pump and reservoir are one piece or two seperate animals. If you have the seperate "TANK" , The trick is to "OVERFILL " it. this stops the air bubbles from being sucked into the pump under load......This is not an option if the Pump and reservoir are one piece!!!!!!

Old 02-25-09, 06:46 AM
BSB
Thanks. I'll check it out. I thought it might need a good flushing, bleeding and refill to boot. But I'll over fill and see if that makes a difference before I do more work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: