94 Lincoln Town Car - tranny shudders

Old 02-25-09, 07:07 AM
94 Lincoln Town Car - tranny shudders

When the transmission, under normal torque load, shifts into the last (overdrive) gear, there is a sound like driving over a rumble strip in the road that lasts for about a second.

If I am not accelerating and let up on the pedal just prior to shifting into OD, it does not make the shudder sound.

It has just started doing it. I have never experienced anything like this before. Possible cause? I really like this car and have treated her well.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-09, 06:37 PM
try a complete fluid flush,torque converter and all. This works over 90% of the time

Old 02-26-09, 09:08 AM
That was my first thought. Checked the level and brought it to a guy who double checked and smelled fluid for burning. He said he could take my money but also said it looked good. If it turns out to be a big buck job they will drain out the new fluid anyway, but I guess it might be worth a try. I hate transmission problems because I know nothing about automatics. Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-26-09, 12:17 PM
Had the same thing happen twice to me. Once in a 1994 Ford F150 pickup. The fix was changing the torque converter.

Currently is happening again but only in mild fashion, on my relatively low mileage (59k) 1994 Ford Thunderbird. I had the tranny flushed, new filter etc. when I first bought it. It's been doing it from the get'go when I bought from an old couple friend of the family who bought it new and hardly drove it. It hasn't gotten worse, but I'm going to change again the fluid and filter for the heck of it myself.

I was told by the tranny shop when I had my truck fixed a few years ago, to try a fluid additive (name escapes right now) that was the first step before shop repairs? I'm going to research and try it with the Thunderbird. Otherwise torque converter down the road.

Old 02-26-09, 04:55 PM
Gregtech is on the money!! Nine out of ten will be fixed with just a fluid change, and the fluid does not smell burnt or have a dark color. Be sure to drain the torque converter when you change fluid, if it is done properly it should take about 12 quarts to refill the trans and converter. No way I pay anyone to do anything to a trans in a car without changing fluid and filter first. People do not believe it but the fluid can and does just wear out!!