Humming noise - is it the cv joint?

Old 02-28-09, 03:56 PM
B
BGH
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Humming noise - is it the cv joint?

I have a 2004 Chevy Blazer and drive it regularly in the harsh North East winters. Recently there has been a loud humming noise when the car is in motion - at any speed. This noise will lesson when banking left or right. Initially I thought it could be the treads from the new tires. But it has only gotten louder in the last few days. Someone suggested it could be the cv joints. Is this a good diagnosis? Any other thoughts?

Many thanks in advance as I prepare for a trip to the local mechanic.

BGH

Old 02-28-09, 04:03 PM
B
wouldnt rule out tire noise if the problem started after getting new tires , cv joints dont really hum when they fail would probably be checking the wheel bearings and brakes for a starting point.

Old 02-28-09, 04:23 PM
Typically, CV's will click, or Knock when they are failing.

Double check the air pressure in your New tires, as a low tire , Or even a "High" tire can change the contact pattern with the road, and thus, change the noise it produces. This could be as simple as a "Tire Boy" who missed the mark, or a Pretty common "Bead didnt seal Right".

Then run the truck thru the car wash, paying special attention to the wheels.....It is not uncommon for "Road salt " to build up on the inside edges of the wheels.....Producing a simmilar noise.

Then, try 2wd as opposed to 4wd, As this will allow you to eliminate a tire noise from a bad bearing, a driveshaft, or perhaps even a Worn Differential......

Try and "Feel" the hum......If it can be felt in the steering wheel, suspect the front, if you feel it in the seat, suspect the rear.

It isnt really rocket science, but rather an elimination process, and can be quite tedious, but it will get you to the root of the problem.

Old 02-28-09, 04:32 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Unclediezel
Try and "Feel" the hum......
And try and feel for heat, at the center of all the hubcaps, - as a bad wheel bearing will produce more heat, than the other ones. Be careful when feeling it in case one IS really getting hot.

Old 03-01-09, 07:21 AM
B
BGH
Thanks! I will give those a try this afternoon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: