94 Camry LE /Timing belt

Old 02-28-09, 06:47 PM
94 Camry LE /Timing belt

Hi I have an orginal with only 69,000 mi. The timing belt was never replaced and it is due! It is a 4 cyl , What are we looking at for cost? labor and parts Is there a kit with this?

Thanks,\
chippy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-09, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
I recently did my wife's '01 and also did her '95 Camry when we had it. The 4-cyl Camry is pretty easy to work on.

The good news is that this is not an interference (aka "valve-bender") engine, so if it breaks no harm beyond the tow bill.

I don't think there's a kit, but you can check; there may be some combination of belt and tensioner parts. When I did ours both times all I did was the belt and the water pump. DO THE WATER PUMP. The expense for the additional part is nothing compared to the hassle of pulling it all back apart again and when you have the timing belt out you're already there. I think it's a 2-3 hour job by the book, so parts and labor - including the water pump - would run you about $400 when you add in supplies and tax. The belt and water pump I think cost me about $90, but I get a pretty good break on the price.

If you opt to DIY it, the hardest part will be breaking lose the bolt for the crank pulley; it's an air gun job.

Old 03-22-09, 06:59 PM
I am trying to do my 1995 Camry V6 LE Wagon timing belt. Last time I got down to open cover and tried to locate TDC, but I can't successfully located it. Haynes repair manual says, turn crankshaft pulley until mark on all pulleys at top of pulley. There are a couple pulleys off about 1/6 - 1/8 turn. How can I make adjust them?

Old 03-22-09, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
See if this helps:

AutoZone.com | Membership Benefits

I've never done a V6 Camry, but generally you align TDC on the crank pulley and then the two cam sprockets are aligned to marks on the heads. If there is a misalignment you would have to take tension off the belt and move the offending sprocket until it is aligned.

Old 03-24-09, 05:11 PM
Does anyone knows how many times you can align TDC for a complete timing belt turns?

Old 03-24-09, 06:05 PM
Lost me in the lingo fella!!!! If you set the crank to it's mark, the cams will (SHOULD) be either AT their mark......or 180deg out.........If they're 180'd one complete turn of the crank will set them right....There are twice as many cogs on a cam as on a crank

Old 03-25-09, 10:52 AM
Good info.! I will check it when I get into there.