Integrated Window Radio Antenna

Old 02-28-09, 08:17 PM
Integrated Window Radio Antenna

1) 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT - This 2-door coupe has a hardtop and large rear hatch. No antenna mast or mini-antenna stub, so I'm assuming it is either built into the frame or integrated into the window?

2) Radio signal is poor... as if the antenna got disconnected. Occurred after getting a flat, turning on blinkers for the first time ever, getting spare out of trunk,

3) Rear hatch window was recently (month ago) replaced but radio has worked fine.

Where is the antenna and what did I do to disconnect it? Thinking of the blinker, could it be a fuse? Thinking of the rear hatch, where is an integrated window antenna?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-09, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Don't know about an Eclipse, but my wife's Camry has the antenna in the rear window. If you look real close you'll see the fine wires for the rear window defrost; keep looking and if there's an antenna there you will see it as a separate set of fine filaments in the glass. My guess would be a connector has come loose.

Old 03-01-09, 05:17 PM
Check the hatch area and see if the antenna connector has come loose. It should be near the top of the hatch.

Old 06-14-09, 03:55 PM
Integrated Antenna Connection

Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
Thinking of the blinker, could it be a fuse? Thinking of the rear hatch, where is an integrated window antenna?
Okay, I finally got a sunny day and took apart the interior of the hatch area to find the integrated antenna connection. It looks fine and I turned on the radio and jiggled the wires and connections and got nothing.

I'm not sure how to test it with a meter. Continuity?

I'm still thinking it is a fuse. I need to find a Mitsubishi book to see if there is an antenna fuse.

Old 06-14-09, 10:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Antenna's do not have fuses. Track your wiring. It may work it's way down to or adjacent to the spare tire storage area. You may find a loose connector there. If you can sort out which wire is actually the antenna feed, you could put a piece of wire in the end of the connector which feeds the radio. If reception improves, start working back toward the window. Don't confuse rear window defogger wiring with the antenna wire.

Old 06-23-09, 09:10 AM
Track your wiring. It may work it's way down to or adjacent to the spare tire storage area. You may find a loose connector there.
Thanks. I'm thinking now that it may be a connector at the source. Reception failed about the same time I hit the emergency flashers (first time I ever used them, I believe).

If you can sort out which wire is actually the antenna feed, you could put a piece of wire in the end of the connector which feeds the radio.
I should have heard a change in reception by just putting my fingers around the connector. The human body is a great antenna.

Old 09-06-09, 01:31 PM
This picture makes no sense

Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
Antenna's do not have fuses. Track your wiring. It may work it's way down to or adjacent to the spare tire storage area. You may find a loose connector there.
Looking at the service manual, I see, yes, there are no fuses but there are in-line amplifier, splitter, choke coils, and capacitors. Difficult to figure out where the line runs after the connector, the routing is not apparent in this line drawing: