heated mirrors

Old 03-02-09, 11:23 AM
heated mirrors

i have a 2003 mercury sable that has heated mirrors that aren't working, is there a way that i can trouble shoot this problem without taking it to the dealer?

Last edited by ironsetr; 03-02-09 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-09, 11:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do they go on with the rear defogger? From your writeup, I'm assuming that both are out. If so, check that the rear defogger is working. If not, check fuses. If it does work, you may have to locate the mirror wiring where it leaves the interior of the car and goes out to the door and mirrors. Check any connectors, but a volt meter would be good at this point to read if voltage is getting to the mirrors. If you show voltage, the heating elements in the mirrors may be bad which will require removing the door panel to get to the mirrors.

Old 03-02-09, 02:22 PM
yes they go on with the rear defrost.
it could be a faulty def switch make sure it lites up when you hit the button, also there are connectors on each mirror.

do both not work or just one.

check to make sure that large black barrel on your door hinge its about four inches across and looks like a can but black plastic, is not loose or cracked with water in it.

Old 03-03-09, 11:09 AM
heated mirrors

yes the rear comes on and the fronts are supposed to com on at the same time but they don't

Old 03-03-09, 05:15 PM
check fuse #12. a 10 amp fuse

Old 03-05-09, 11:07 AM
heated mirrors

Gregtech I went and checked the fuse and it was good. When i hit the rear defrost button the light comes on at the switch and the rear defrost works but mirros still don't. The directional part of the mirror works just will not defrost the ice off, and they say not to scrape the mirror

Last edited by ironsetr; 03-05-09 at 11:09 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-05-09, 11:16 AM
are the mirrors getting voltage.

Old 03-05-09, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by ironsetr View Post
Gregtech I went and checked the fuse and it was good. When i hit the rear defrost button the light comes on at the switch and the rear defrost works but mirros still don't. The directional part of the mirror works just will not defrost the ice off, and they say not to scrape the mirror
are the directional mirrors oem or aftermarket?
also make sure the wires going from defrost switch to mirrors are still attached and didn't come loose. make sure the ground is solid.