2002 Chevy Venture

Old 03-03-09, 05:00 AM
2002 Chevy Venture

I have about 50k on the brakes and need to do a front brake job on this van which has ABS. I have never done an ABS job before so I would feel more comfortable getting any pointers you can provide. Also:

Are ceramic pads recommended and will they avoid the dusting problem?

Would you automatically rebuild the calipers or wait to see what they look like?

Is it necessary to turn the rotors or can I just install new pads? The rotors only have 30k on them and are not warped.

For the last job I had to buy a large torx bit for the cap screws. Will I need any other special tools?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-09, 06:59 PM
No need to rebuild the calipers. Just make sure the sliders are not gummed up or rusted. I would suggest putting some silicone paste on the sliders before you screw them back in. The pad kit should come with a little packet of this lube.

No special tools needed. Just a 15mm wrench or socket with a ratchet. Take note how the sliders/caliper bolts come out. One might have a rubber sleeve on it, it needs to go back in the correct hole.

No need to resurface the rotors if there isn't any type of pulsation while braking.

If you are not gonna resurface the rotors, there is no need to remove the caliper brackets. Makes for an easy 15-20 minute job. A brake job on this vehicle with ABS is no different that any other car without ABS.

Old 03-05-09, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the reply Mr. Dummas. Your response was exactly what I wanted to hear. Now I just hope my old arthritic knees will take it.