99 VW Beetle code PO341(Cam)

Old 03-03-09, 03:37 PM
99 VW Beetle code PO341(Cam)

99 VW Bug question mech question.

I posted this question on the VW forums but they don't get very much volume and isn't really VW specific I suppose.

Last week my wifes beetle began running rough and the CEL came on. She stopped at autozone to have the run the codes on it. Code PO341(Cam) Normally I'd do the work but I'm working long hours at work, so I was forced to take it to a local shop. Symptoms are, no power, rough idle, ect... The shop owner called my wife two days later saying they found a leak on the Exhaust Manifold, which is very rare. They gave us a qoute of $850 and wanted permisson to replace stating they felt it was "Most Likely" the cause of are issues. I told them to go ahead and replace it, but I wanted them to keep the old manifold for my personal inspection.

They ordered the part and replaced it, only to find the problem still exsists. Over the weekend I did some research of my own. From what I've found, a leak in the exhaust wouldn't throw this code. However, I'm not a mech. They also replaced the Cam sensor, which also didn't fix the problem. They called us today and told us the car was ready and they don't have the resources to further solve the issues. Now, this is a full service shop and the Mech I talked to sounded like a young guy who didn't know what he was talking about. The owner who is the Mech father was unable to talk at the time.

I told him, I wouldn't be paying for the Sensor or the labor on it. If he needed to take it off, that's fine. It sounded like he just assumed it was the sensor and I called him on it by asking if he tested it. He said "yes", a pin point test, it came back faulty.

I understand how difficult these can be to solve, however I don't feel I should have to pay for something that didn't fix the problem when they are assuming....

Can a leak in the Exhaust manifold cause the PO341 code first of all and am I right for feeling I shouldn't have to pay for this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-09, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
Well, I suppose it might be possible for an exhaust leak to burn up a cam sensor if the leak was blowing hot air on it. Not sure where the sensor is located on a Beetle, so I'm only guessing that their diagnosis was along these lines. Of course if the sensor is well away from where the exhaust manifold leak alegedly was, that would be a different story. I think it would have been pretty good troubleshooting to immediately test the cam sensor or even replace it since that is what the code was for originally. It's possible there is a problem with the sensor circuit rather than the sensor itself and, again, that is something that could have been affected by a hot exhaust stream from a leaky manifold. Where everything is located in relation to each other would answer some of that. Was this a reputeable garage that you've done business with before and/or are they suppose to know VW's?

Old 03-04-09, 02:31 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Well, I suppose it might be possible for an exhaust leak to burn up a cam sensor if the leak was blowing hot air on it. Not sure where the sensor is located on a Beetle, so I'm only guessing that their diagnosis was along these lines. Of course if the sensor is well away from where the exhaust manifold leak alegedly was, that would be a different story. I think it would have been pretty good troubleshooting to immediately test the cam sensor or even replace it since that is what the code was for originally. It's possible there is a problem with the sensor circuit rather than the sensor itself and, again, that is something that could have been affected by a hot exhaust stream from a leaky manifold. Where everything is located in relation to each other would answer some of that. Was this a reputeable garage that you've done business with before and/or are they suppose to know VW's?
That makes a lot of sense. However I don't believe the two are near eachother. They replace the sensor like I said and I refuse to pay for it due to the fact it didn't fix the problem. Why would I want to pay for something that didn't fix the problem.

The shop has been around for years and I've never heard good or bad things about them. It was close for my wife to drive to. So today my wife is picking the car up and taking it to another shop. I'm working out of state, or else I'd do it myself.

Old 03-08-09, 11:14 AM
What's the VW forums?

Did you try VWVortex or maybe even The Car Lounge (related)? I can't believe they can't help.

Old 03-09-09, 06:07 AM
He's already posted this problem on the Newbeetle.org forums with no luck. Ditto on checking the VWVortex site.

Don, it seems that you're breaking new ground on this problem. Does your engine have a variable timed camshaft?

Old 03-09-09, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
He's already posted this problem on the Newbeetle.org forums with no luck. Ditto on checking the VWVortex site.

Don, it seems that you're breaking new ground on this problem. Does your engine have a variable timed camshaft?
Hmmm, good question, I'm not sure.

However, the Dealer has the car and is saying it's either the cas sensor of the ECU. The original shop could not find the issue and gave up.

Are the ECU's known to just fail?