1992 volvo 240 series

Old 03-07-09, 11:05 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1992 volvo 240 series

trip odominor problem and bulb burnout indicator. here it is as follows. trip odominor numbers don't turn if you pound on the one side of dash or sometimes the steering wheel it will work a little and then stick again. bulb burn out indicator lamp will light when i apply the brake peddle. i checked all the bulbs and their ok. how do i fix or resolve these issues further. thank you good day!

Old 03-07-09, 02:49 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Not a Volvo expert, but applying generic logic.....

Replace the speedometer head = pretty good guess if the odometer is not working right.

The indicator lamp you're talking about is probably not grounded properly with its own ground. When you step on the brake peddle the lamp is grounding through the brake lights.

A repair manual (wiring diagram) is always a good investment and there are websites like Autozone with repair information on them.

You might try this one for information:

AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection - Year

Old 03-07-09, 04:48 PM
D
re 1992 volvo

what is a speedometer head please explain further thanx

Old 03-07-09, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 242 Upvotes on 195 Posts
The speedo head is simply the speedometer portion of the instrument cluster. It can usually be replaced independent of the rest of the cluster, but be prepared for a pretty steep price.

If you're mechanically inclined it is sometimes possible to replace worn or broken gears in the speedo head that cause your type of problem. This is one source for parts that I've used in the past and also has some good basic info on speedo/odo problems:

Speedometer Gears and Odometer Gears. Speedometer Parts

Did you check the third (center) brake light?

Old 03-07-09, 05:27 PM
D
re 1992 volvo

both the trip odom and the odom don't work as i explained whe n the trip odom doesn't function the the odom won't function it is hooked up into one.

Old 03-07-09, 05:45 PM
D
re 1992 volvo

yes i checked the third center brake light it checks out ok

Old 03-08-09, 01:11 PM
D
re 1992 volvo

hello you's is there by any chance any auto parts store have anything universal an odometer thats like rounded shape that i can install under or on top of the dash so that i don't have to replace the whole dash cluster. its like your universal temp gages etc. please chime in thanx good day!

Old 03-08-09, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 242 Upvotes on 195 Posts
Have never seen a bolt-on odometer. Also not sure if your speedo-odo is cable-driven or electronic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: