T or F - All 96 and newer Toyota's need a scan tool to get engine codes?

Old 03-09-09, 02:55 AM
T or F - All 96 and newer Toyota's need a scan tool to get engine codes?

Many OBDII compliance vehicles that I'm familiar with sometimes you can pull engine codes without a scanner. With my personal cars (Honda, Nissan, Chevy/GMC and Land Rover) I'm able to pull codes without a scanner, either by jumping a connector or turning a knob on the ECM. My Honda and LR is OBDII compliance. I have a friend with a 96 Toyota Rav4 with a CEL. I know most auto parts store will read your code for free, but it's so convenient when you can pull your own codes without a scanner. I've done a quick search on Toyota's which lead me to my question.

True or flase - all 96 and newer Toyota's need a scan tool to get engine codes?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-09, 04:37 AM
Group Moderator
Old 03-09-09, 07:52 AM
true

You need a scan tool on all 96 or newer cars. The day of a jumper with a paperclip are over. This aint your dads 89 chevy anymore.

Old 03-09-09, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by michael van View Post
You need a scan tool on all 96 or newer cars. The day of a jumper with a paperclip are over. This aint your dads 89 chevy anymore.

Not necessarily. Most Japanese and European OBDII compliant vehicles are "Unreadable" without a scantool. On the other hand , Chrysler still uses the "3 Cycles of the ignition key" to generate a code display in the odometer window. Some later GM's still accept a paperclip in the DLC ---I believe its #4 and #16.

Have the codes read for free......But absolutely , under no circumstances BUY anything until you come back to this board and report their findings...........!!!!!!

Old 03-09-09, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
During my initial search I did come across this website. I guess I'll be heading to AZ/DA when the time comes to read codes. Thanks again.

Mike

Search this Thread