1999 Altima distributor question

Old 03-09-09, 04:40 AM
1999 Altima distributor question

1999 Altima automatic with a respecable oil leak from the distributor.
Question, does the entire distributor need to be replaced? Or can the distributor be pulled and new seals/o-rings be installed.
The distributor has not been affected by the leak, yet as far as I can tell.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-09, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
Should be a seal that can be replaced. Depends on where exactly the oil is getting out. Here's info on r&r of the distributor:

AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection - Year

You will need a timing light to reset ignition timing when you're done.

Old 03-09-09, 06:08 AM
MY 1995 altima had a leak @ the distributor and i let it go until the car wouldn't start (I didn't know this would happen) The mechanic said altimas use optical distributors and the oil eventually occuled the distributor to the point it had to be replaced. The distributors are sideways so, of course, the oil can leak if there is a spot to. Thanx for the link, but timing is something I won't mess with. Distributor leaks seem to be a common prob. with Altimas! Leaks in general seem to be a prob. in Altimas!

Old 03-09-09, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
Not just Altimas. Wife's previous Camry leaked from the same place. Current camry is distributorless.

Old 03-09-09, 03:18 PM
Dependant on where the leak is coming from. If it comes thru the distributor shaft, that would be a bushing that is pressed into the housing and is not replaceable.

The more common "Mounting flange" leak, is easily fixable with a new O-Ring. If your feeling really thrifty this week...a "Smear" of Black RTV silicone around the base of the housing also works, provided you get the unit back in the car and "Timed -Up" before it sets.

Search this Thread