1993 Honda Civic brake problem

Old 03-09-09, 02:30 PM
1993 Honda Civic brake problem

Hello,

I have a 1993 Civic. A while back it was making a screeching noise from the back right when the brakes were applied. The brake pads were replaced not too long ago so I didn't think it was the pads. I took it into a shop in the small town where I live. Mechanic called and said the brakes had all sorts of dirt in them, but he'd cleaned it up. Said the pads were fine. Got the car back, but the sound was still there. Not as bad as before, but still there. Took it back to same guy. He took another look and said the drum needed turning (I assume this means grinding it down to a level surface?) Got the car back. It was much better now. A month later and the stupid sound is back again.

A little reluctant to take it back to the same guy as he just doesn't seem able to diagnose what the real problem is.

Any ideas? Any further info required, I'll explain what I'm able.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-09, 02:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's possible you might have a dragging brake caliper. I would have the slide pins greased up real well.

By the way, he 'turned the rotor' not a drum, and yes, it basically mills down the rotor to within specs.

Old 03-09-09, 02:46 PM
Thanks HotinOKC! You're right about the rotor, I guess what I learned in grade 9 autoshop 25 years ago is drifting away from me.

So, the dragging caliper would make that sound when the brakes are being applied and not after they were released? I assume greasing slide pins isn't something a house painter should attempt on their own? I have one of those books that explains how to take your car totally apart which would help me identify them. Hasn't been useful to me yet in the past 10 years, but hey, you never know.

Thanks again.

Old 03-09-09, 03:04 PM
I assume greasing slide pins isn't something a house painter should attempt on their own?.............

Why not??????

Pop the tires off...remove the two small bolts. Probably 12 or 14 mm, Lift the caliper out of the way. The pins are the things that you took the bolts out of. Slide them out, clean them up, grease em, and put em' back. Repeat on the other side.

Not all of Auto shop 9 is lost. If the car has rear drum brakes, The drums would be turned in the same manner. Difference being, rotors are machined for thickness, drums are machined for diameter.

Now...just a personal note.....Any CHIPS, or Residue left behind from the machining process, can find its way to embedding itself in a pad or shoe......Causing a noise as the material wears down....

Glazing can cause the same noise, which could be a sticky caliper or just as easily and more commonly a Heavy Left Foot. Think of wet fingers on a mirror...they Squeak..... Very possibly the only way to fix this completely and permanently, is to rectify the "Glazing" issue, and Replace the pads. Technically, any surface imperfections in a rotor, are transfered to the wear pattern in the pad.....A newly finished rotor will have a hard time mating with pads that are "Worn -In " to the previous surface.

Old 03-09-09, 03:25 PM
Ok...If you say you think I can do it, maybe I'll give it a try. Hey, how badly can I screw things up? If I make a mistake, the other three wheels will still have brakes right? Just kidding.

Might have to wait until some better weather. Still cold and snowy up here in Canada. Cold wet hands and cold steel make me grumpy and surly.

Old 03-09-09, 03:34 PM
Hey, how badly can I screw things up? If I make a mistake, the other three wheels will still have brakes right?

Yes absolutely.......

The only thing I can think of offhand, is that MAYBE, the pins will be different sizes , top to bottom, so dont mix em' up....Other than that, its pretty straight forward.

Old 03-09-09, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
It's pretty simple,as was said. Anyone with a name like wildbill, a set of socket wrenches, and who knows how to change a tire should be able to knock it out in an hour or less.

Search this Thread