2001 corolla oil leak, filler cap maybe??

Old 03-11-09, 09:08 PM
2001 corolla oil leak, filler cap maybe??

Hi
My friend is losing a quart every 300 miles. Kinda filthy around the filler cap. Does this vehicle have a problem with oil leaks if the cap does not hold a bit of a vacuum?? Have had trouble with certain cars in the past with a bad seal around the oil fill cap leaking out the rear main seal. Its quite dry (the filler cap seal)and she has 180000 on the clock.
2001 1.6 corolla auto..
looking for a starting point before I start trouble shooting to deep. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-09, 04:52 AM
would probably clean the engine off and ensure the oil is full and have them drive a couple hundred miles and then look for external leaks, there is a good chance that some oil may of been spilled just adding oil if they are using a quart every 300 miles.

Old 03-12-09, 09:04 AM
thanks, I am really wondering if a bad seal at the fill cap would cause a leak to increase due to the system having a more possitive pressure forcing more oil to flow out of any weak seals/gaskets. I had a vehicle that lost 1 qt every hundred miles out the rear main seal til I replaced the oil cap then only every thousnand miles. I don't want to change out this cap if that is useless to her and won't help at all.
ThanksBeer 4U2