98 ford contour rear brake shoes help please

Old 03-15-09, 03:09 PM
Angry 98 ford contour rear brake shoes help please

98 ford contour auto sedan 2.0
I havent done a shoe change for over 20 years but from what i recall there should be a star to retract the shoes so that you can fit the drums back on the wheel.. well where the H is this and how come i cant find it?
the drum wont fit over the shoes the way it is and I cant seem to locate the star to retract them in to get the drum over them.
first off I know the shoes i got form autozone werent going to work cause they were the larger size so that was one day wasted and now i let another day pass thinking I would have them done today now i run into a problem finding the retracting star....
PLease help
thanx.
Linda D

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-09, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
I know they gave you the wrong shoes...but Autozone does have info on their new site for your brakes. Looks like its not really a star, but more of a ratchet type mechanism. Kind of hard to see, but if you have the real one in front of you, may be easier.

Lets see if this is right...

AutoZone.com | Membership Benefits

Well, it worked for me, but you may need to register and find the right info.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 03-15-09 at 03:19 PM. Reason: checking link
Old 03-16-09, 08:34 AM
okay i get what you are talking about but i can not get autozone repair guide to come up for my computer ..i have 10 cars managed in my autozone but it keeps saying there is an error retrieving this information on the ford. if you would please email the steps youtook to get to this information I would be ever so grateful I am obvisously dating myself on brakes shoes... I am not used to this new method of retracting shoes.. so close yet so far away from finishing OUCH!!
now to top things off I popped outthe cylinder trying to force more fluid out to see if I could manually retract the shoes and now the shoes are soaked in brake fluid.. so i have to clean them up before i re-assemble nad get them to retract.
I did manage toget the cylinder back together and itis holding tight but this is more of a mess than the old ones used to be..who ever said new is better???
[email protected]

Last edited by ladagosta; 03-16-09 at 08:57 AM. Reason: omitted info
Old 03-16-09, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Well, autozone changed their site..so if you were using a bookmark or something..it may be going back to the old one.

You might try clearing your Internet history.

I hate to tell you more bad news....but if you got brake fluid on the shoe material itself...theres no cleaning it that I know of. You need new shoes.

Back in a few..bit of business to take care of...

Search this Thread