'65 Mustang 200ci Inline 6

Old 03-16-09, 09:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
'65 Mustang 200ci Inline 6

Hey guys its been a long while since I've been here but it feels good to be back...
Car above just bought it. Has sputtering/shutting off and just generally dies after running for a few minutes.
Usually wait and let it rest and starts rigth after 15 minutes or so, then the cycle starts again.
Previous owner replaced gas tank,fuel sender, fuel pump and he also installed a rebuilt carb.
At this point I'm thinking coil pack ? it has an electronic ( it has an ignition module inside of it ) distributor.
Any ideas let me know thanks !

Lou

Old 03-16-09, 09:29 PM
D
well first thought was fuel pump but being a low pressure pump seems kinda weird. All I can guess is the fuel filter needs changing and or your carb is out of adjustment. I wouldnt think spark is the issue ... maybe possibly the timing could be out

Old 03-16-09, 09:34 PM
Thanks

Carb is rebuilt almost brand new... we did take it apart and it seems to be ok , float works good, pump has pressure.
Injectors work ok.
Fuel Filter ok, timing is where is supposed to be...
Car runs good for 10-15 minutes then it goes haywire...

Old 03-17-09, 01:33 AM
W
65????.........You say carb.........then injectors????...This does not compute
Did someone change over the ign system???? This vehicle should have points and condensor. You've been through the carb, but the #1 problem (back in the day) was the carb base section coming loose from the center section

Old 03-17-09, 02:49 AM
B
definatly something weird about this 65 mustang if its electronic ignition and has a coil pack and injectors and a carb.
think I would just drop a v8 in it and be done with it.

Old 03-17-09, 03:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Somebody went to a lot of trouble for a 65 6 banger. Car has to be real nice otherwise.

Old 03-17-09, 06:04 AM
No trouble

I meant the carb injectors or whatever you call them, it delivers fuel ok.
No no trouble car is cherry almost all original , even has the original radio and it works too.
Putting a V8 in it its a major task you have to change some suspension parts, put disc brakes on front, change differential etc. if you want it done right....you can google it and see.
Anyways off topic ( car will be sold in the most original condition possible ). Yeah no points or condenser thats the only thing they seemed to have updated,its funny b/c dist. has the original look, you don't notice until you take cover off.
I'll just change the coil and see what happens. Thanks.
See it here before I bought it :

1965 Mustang

Its nice !

Old 03-17-09, 07:19 AM
B
so its all original except the ignition that would probably be a good place to start like checking voltage to the coil to see if it loses voltage originally it probably has some sort of resistor/ or resistor wire that drops the voltage to the coil to extend the life of the points.
is it a point conversion system that basicly uses a point distributer with a module that bolts to the original distributer or is it aftermarket like a mallory?

Old 03-17-09, 07:01 PM
M
Does this car have a modern controller or "brain" or just HEI ingition......otherwords did someone pull out the entire fuel and computer controll system from a late model straight six Ford? (so we can visualize what you have).
And is this a "Throttle Body" carb or do you have actual injectors at each cylinder?

My 1st gutt guess is........fuel.....starving for fuel....especialy if it is ok a short time later.

Could be vapor lock or somekind of fuel line collapse.

How does it drive for the first 15 miniutes........does it bogg down and fall on its face when accellerating or does it it just shut off?

If it's just a shut off I would lean toward electrical and if it boggs down and falls on it's face I would say fuel related.

Just a hunch but does this engine have a coolant sensor that feeds back to the controller.............thinking out loud.....that if it does it could be flooding out after fully warmed up and not sending "warmed up " signals back to the controller caused by a disconnected or faulty sensor.

Don't discount the carb because it's faily new.......stranger things have happened.

I don't know if I can say this here but check out this Mustang Forum.......mustangsunlimited.com.......might be someone there that has had this same problem.

I own a '67 stang 289 ci. V8 still under restoration.

Last edited by Mackey; 03-17-09 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 09:04 PM
Mustang

No no computer just a distributor and coil, it's not hei either .
I guess what I meant is it doesnt have the old fashioned distributor with the points and lever, it just has a tiny ignition module inside of it.
I replaced the ignition coil today with another no change. Engine works like the real deal for first 10 minutes then starts sputtering and misfiring bad.
After that it just dies. The carb is 1 bbl. just the old fashioned but it delivers fuel ok. You can see the white gas mist coming out of it good. Somehow I think if it is fuel starving it'd be bad at all times.
It has to be something that works out ok while cold then after engine gains temperature just fails. Some people suggested the valves or camshaft not providing enough lift for fuel pump but again it would happen all the time ....
Also there's gas on float compartment and line has pressure when you loose nut on carb fuel line intake you notice the gas pressure and the float cutting off gas normally.

Old 03-18-09, 03:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Just a guess but it sounds like ignition module is heating up and failing. The early 80's GM's had that problem it I remember right.

Old 03-18-09, 07:26 PM
M
Just a basic question.........what kind of choke does it have?
I hate to so elementary........but maybe the choke is staying on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: