2005 chrysler pacifica front end play????

Old 03-18-09, 12:35 PM
Question 2005 chrysler pacifica front end play????

Helped a friend replace the brake pads on the front of his SUV and felt there was an excessive amount of play. How much play, if any, is there? I am talking about left to right play not up and down, when you wiggle tire.
Without getting into it to deep, I believe, this vehicle has rack and pinon steering. If that is the case and there is to much play in it; you would have to replace the rack and pinon, right?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-09, 12:47 PM
Group Moderator
More likely a tierod end, but that's pretty young for anything to be worn far enough to be noticeable.

Old 03-18-09, 01:01 PM
Thanks Tow Guy. I thougth the same thing, 2005!?!?!?!? However, I could turn the tire (left to right) approximately one inch while it was up on the jack. I actually noticed the play while he was putting the wheel back on and tighting the lugs down alittle. Something just didn't look right, the wheel was moving to much.
Anyhow, as I was moving the wheel I looked behind/under it, to see if I could see where the play was coming from. Everything looked good at the wheel. The only place I could see where the play could be coming from was at the boot where the tie rod goes into the pinon. Since this is all cover, by the boot, I am not sure of what is under the boot.
It just hit me.....since the rack and pinon system is all fluid controled, do you have to have the engine running when you check the play? It would seem this would build up the pressure in the system and maybe hold the wheels in place????
Old time mechanic here, haven't messed with this new stuff fo much.

Old 03-18-09, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Shouldn't matter if it's pressurized or not; that much play would indicate something seriously out of whack. I would get that checked before driving it any further.

Old 03-18-09, 06:20 PM
......More likely a tierod end, but that's pretty young for anything to be worn far enough to be noticeable......

Not at all.....

The Pacifica, Caravan/ Town and country, and actually most of the "Larger" Chryslers are plagued with Worn Tierod ends. I change them on a daily basis, While most of them are still under warranty.........

Honestly, ....A 4 year old Pacifica wouldnt go past me without EXPECTING to see a wiped -out tie rod.

A word of caution.......Aftermarket Tie rod ends are NOT..NOT...NOT... Made to the same dimensional specs as the originals....Not really an Issue.. but the car may become uncontrollable until it is aligned................The "OLD GUY " trick of counting turns out and counting turns in, only works if what you put in is "Absolutely" identical to what you took out.

Search this Thread