loud whirring and slight grinding noise

Old 03-19-09, 10:26 AM
loud whirring and slight grinding noise

2001 5 speed 1.6 liter corolla, 184,000 miles. The car is whirring with a rattly grinding noise quite loudly under load. It sounds as though its comig from the left side of the motor aroud the timing belt. The noise is still present at times of idle and deceleration but very faint and hardly noticeable. More of a slight chatter. This has been steady for 1 year.
What are the possibilities??
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-09, 02:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you could fairly easily disconnect the belt(s) driving the alternator, water pump, and power steering, and maybe a/c - you then could find out if any of this is the culprit. Does your car have a partially removeable timing belt shield enabling you to inspect for frayed belt?

Old 03-19-09, 06:47 PM
Timing belt tensioner? Alternator bearing, water pump bearing?

Old 03-19-09, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
If you could fairly easily disconnect the belt(s) driving the alternator, water pump, and power steering, and maybe a/c - you then could find out if any of this is the culprit. Does your car have a partially removeable timing belt shield enabling you to inspect for frayed belt?
Very good. This is a friends car and I assume that year will have a serpentine belt. I think the 2001 has a timing chain?? 184,000 miles likely to stretch that?? I will have a look at basics
thanks, will report back

Old 03-20-09, 10:41 AM
get yourself mechnics stetoscope and point down the noise origin. just be careful around pullies. idler pully could be easily the one.
as of the timing chain, not necessarily the chain itself, but they have chain tensioner, that might go bad.
I'd safely assume that ratlle+grind is a bad bearing somewhere.
from my Mitsubishi experiences, their idlers are VERY sensitive to any excessive tension, and will make helluva noise under it.