EGR valve - Accord 2000 LX 4cyl 5spd

Old 03-21-09, 09:58 PM
EGR valve - Accord 2000 LX 4cyl 5spd

Hi all,

I have got the check engine light on Honda Accord 2000 LX 4dr 4cyl 5spd, 103000 miles. The code is P1491 that means "EGR valve lift insufficient detected. What should be my course of action?

There are a few symptoms: the whole story began at the end of 1500 mile roadtrip. The light went on, and the fuel consumption went from 32 mpg to 24 mpg or so, measured over a full tank of gas.

The car idling speed began to become slower and in a few days deteriorated to stalling when in idle unless I press the accelerator to rev the engine up. I have also noticed that the car have trouble starting the engine, now I can only start it if I press the accelerator.

Another thing that I have noticed was the accelerator pedal gets slightly stuck once in a while in the depressed position but a little nudge makes it press as usual. Still, I can distinctly feel it being stuck.

I have opened the hood, pulled on the accelerator cables a little, and disconnected and reconnected the EGR valve connector and another one nearby (air sensor? not sure). This seems to have helped a little, the car did not stall during the last trip to Autozone (needed to read that code) but the idle is still very low, and I did stall while backing into the parking spot at home.

So, can I test the valve or I have to replace it right away? Can it be something else? I've got the Haynes repair manual tonight but did not have a chance to take a look yet...

Any advice would be appreciated a lot! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-09, 12:22 AM
Croco

Croco, I'm new here, and about these code things, My engine light went on a few weeks ago and when I had the code read it was the EGR valve on my 94 camry. My car too has droped in gas milige. The guyat the garage told me it was not serious. Most cars the EGR valve is not to expensive however in mine and I am assuming yours because of the foregien model. Mine is between 170 and 200 dollars just for the part again I am not sure about yours. AutoZone has a great website including prices on parts. As far as your gas peddle I have Know idea. The people on this site are absolutly incredible and will know just how to help you better than I. Hope this helped a little.

Old 03-22-09, 08:27 AM
Hi again!

I have read most of what I've found here on the forum about EGR valve troubles, and it seems that I have a shot at trying to clean it. I am going to try that (I will get a new gasket). I am still not sure if my EGR valve is electronic or vacuum. In any case, should I be worried about disconnecting some vacuum lines, and how do I go about it?

Any advice is still very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Yours very truly

Old 02-05-13, 10:47 PM
EGR valve again

Hi!

Thanks for the continuing help on this forum!

Sorry for resurrecting this very old thread but the check engine light is on again, and the code says EGR valve again. Last time, in 2009, I replaced the valve. It was 40,000 miles ago.

This time I want to try to clean the valve. Internet suggests spraying the valve with carburetor cleaner and wiping with a cloth. What do experts here think? Is it safe to try?

This time, the engine does not stall in idle, as the previous time.

Should I try to clean the valve or it is not recommended, and I should replace it?

Old 02-06-13, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
How expensive is it, croco? Any chance it's warranteed? And is it the same code or a different EGR code? FWIW the last one I had to replace on the wrecker went about 50k miles; the aftermarket units, although quite a bit less expensive than OEM, often don't last as long.

You can try cleaning and carb cleaner is fine. You have to remove the valve to clean it, so the question is does the cost of a replacement item make more sense than time involved in taking the valve off and cleaning it.

Good idea to also check vacuum lines or electrical connectors (depending on type of valve) for problems.

Old 02-06-13, 05:57 PM
Old 02-06-13, 10:17 PM
the_tow_guy: a new valve, aftermarket, is $118 before tax in the local Autozone. I will try to clean the valve first for this money: it is very easy to remove in my Accord 2000 (4cyl).

I forgot, do I need to replace the gasket anyway, and are they sold separately from the valve?

I'll check the exact code tomorrow, the printout's in the car. I think it's "insufficient lift".

Thanks!

Old 02-07-13, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
Should be able to buy that gasket by itself and definitely replace it. Also, while you have it off check the port where it bolts for carbon/crud build-up.

Old 02-07-13, 12:46 PM
Thanks!

The code is P1491. So I am going to give the cleaning a try and report here. Will probably take a few days till I get to it though.

Old 02-08-13, 01:03 PM
Take a close look at the link ukrbyk posted. I had to do this with my civic. The ports they are talking about were filled with gunk. Do clean the egr valve also. And be glad you don't have a civic. The aftermarket egr valve for it is over $200.