Usual "electrical" sounds are a little weak when starting truck.

Old 03-22-09, 01:33 PM
Usual "electrical" sounds are a little weak when starting truck.

I have a 92' Ford Ranger with 2.9 V6. I normally hear an electrical buzzing or "whine" when I start to turn the ignition key. This was the fuel pump pressurizing. Now I don't hear this sound at all. I do hear a slightly weak electrical sound and that standard clicking sound. But when I turn the ignition key all the way the engine starts up immediately.

Is this a solenoid, battery, or fuel pump relay starting to go bad?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-09, 02:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So what you are saying is you have a certain familiarity of sound when you turn the key slowly and first get to the ON position? And that when in that (ON)position, you feel the sound you were familiar with now sounds weaker? Yet it still starts good when you get all the way to the START position?

I wonder what that "standard clicking sound" is, that you refer to, out of curiousity. Clicking sounds are often the result of weak battery where the solenoid or relay clicks, and does not have the power anymore to rotate the starter. But you say it starts good. So what is with that clicking? Where is it coming from? I'm not familiar with fuel pumps clicking. Only making a what is described in manuals as a "whirring" sound.

Old 03-22-09, 02:57 PM
Ford Engine controls use what is called an ECA relay to energize the fuel pump relay and power the Injectors and coil. They can be heard cycling during ignition switch transition.

The whine is the fuel pump "Spooling -Up"... Its somewhat normal to hear it, but not necessarily "Abnormal" if you dont. The pump may be going bad, but if the truck runs ok, I wouldnt lose sleep over it.

A partially plugged fuel filter, can increase backpressure and change the sound of a pump......So can a new filter installed in place of a partially plugged one.......

*****Wait a Minute*****------

Did your oil pressure gauge recently stop working????? The pump primes the system prior to actually cranking, When there is NO OIL PRESSURE......If your truck Percieves oil pressure, it will not prime, and you wont hear the pump whining.

Old 03-22-09, 09:34 PM
Let me answer your questions.

Yes Ecman, I do have a "familiarity" of sound when I turn the key slowly to get to the on position. Everything in your first paragraph is correct. When I turn the ignition key all the way to START, the engine starts immediately and the starter cranks strong. The clicking seems to come from the area of the solenoid/battery/power distribution box. But I can't tell for sure.

In June of 2008 I had these parts installed: re-manufactured Jasper engine, all filters replaced, new battery cable and terminals, new voltmeter, water temp, and oil pressure gauges. Oil pressure is indicating normally. I put in a Sorenson fuel pump relay in 2007.

Like UncleDiezel says, I have gotten used to hearing these "cycling" noises

The weak wavering sound, and the loss of the fuel pump whine, is the exact thing I have heard so many times in the past with a failing battery or corroded terminals, as evidenced by Ecman.

I am thinking maybe I wasted your time in posting this inquiry. Sounds like a failing battery to me. But why it is starting strong then? I cleaned a little corrosion off the battery terminals 2 days ago, but the weak sound persists.

I almost forgot. This might be a clue. A couple days ago the voltmeter needle dropped way down when I idled at traffic lights. Now the needle hardly drops off at all when I am at a traffic light. Thanks, Dave

Old 03-23-09, 07:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by bluesbreaker View Post
I am thinking maybe I wasted your time in posting this inquiry.
Absolutely not at all!

The battery? Seems doubtful, since the draw is a lot harder on the starter than the fuel pump. Maybe your fuel pump is just breaking in more with time. Maybe the new '07 pump was whining TOO much after brand new, and now has settled in. That clicking? I don't know. Maybe a mechanic stethoscope to hone in exact spot (Harbor Freight sells them for like $2).

Maybe someone else here can comment too.

Search this Thread