honda civic crack exhaust manifold

Old 07-25-06, 10:13 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
honda civic crack exhaust manifold

i have a honda civic lx 2002 and got 82,000 miles on it. i drive it 100 miles a days and nothing is wrong. but when i had a maintainance check from the dealer, they said the my exhaust manifold has a crack and needs to be change before it gets worst. the crack is just a hair line but they said that i have to change the whole assembly including the catalic converter which is attached to it and will cost me $950.00. i was thinking if i could bring it to the machine shop or there is a bonding glue ( you know ) to seal the crack and could with stand the heat in exhaust manifold. or i could have somebody wield it just to hold the crack instead of changing the whole part. what do you think? thank you in advance and waiting for your reply before i have to make a decision. more power.

tower

Old 07-26-06, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Exhaust manifolds generally do not weld well if memory serves. Depends on the material. I would consult an independent exhaust shop and see what they say. A dealership would be more inclined to sell you a whole new system ($$$) than to make a satisfactory repair. If the system does need replacing, the independent will likely save you a fair amount of $. A used manifold would be an option.

Old 07-26-06, 04:54 AM
I too would consult with a muffler shop like Towguy said. Another option is a header and high flow cat. They can be had for about $600 bucks and will boost your horse power to boot.

Old 07-26-06, 06:03 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Look around on line with google the aftermarket for that car is humungous I am sure you can pick up a stock bolt in mani for around $150

Old 07-26-06, 06:06 PM
I've welded a bunch of exhaust manifolds...and specifically ones just like yours. Depending on the size and location of the crack...it should be repairable by welding. I normally charge around $100 to remove the exhaust manifold and weld it to give you an indication of how much this type of repair should cost.

Go find a good muffler shop that does custom installation (which means they will have experienced welders on site), and get them to remove and weld the manifold. Tell the dealer to take a hike.

Old 07-27-06, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Isn't the material in the manifold a factor, davzack? Many moons ago we had an old F250 with a cracked manifold and I remember being told the cast iron wouldn't weld well. Something about sand in the iron from the casting process?

Old 07-27-06, 05:56 AM
Nope, it welds really well. (Ha, say that three times fast!) I use a wire-fed MIG welder. Never had a problem...

Old 07-27-06, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Hmmm, good thing I only spent a few bucks for a replacement from the junkyard.

Old 03-24-09, 11:54 AM
H
honda manifold/converter

the manifold is under a factory emissions warranty till 130k federal is 80k because the cat is attached it is considered an emission falier. Iv heard not all of the dealers are taking care of this but it is a pattern failier. If you need to, go to a second dealer they should take care of you. appoliges for the spelling its not my thing

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: