front end noise

Old 03-24-09, 04:39 AM
front end noise

I posted a few weeks ago that I had an annoying squeaking sound coming from the passenger side of my PT cruiser when driving. The squeeking isn't always there and when it is it is annoying. It seems to change pitch when you brake slightly or turn the wheel to the right. The brakes were inspected a couple months ago and they were fine so I doubt it is them. Anyways over the past several days now the passenger side is making noise when you go over a good side bumpy area in the road. Almost like a solid knock when it hits instead of there being cushion there. If I go over bumpy areas straight on with both wheels you don't notice it. I had the front control bushings/arms replaced by the dealer about two months ago to pass inspection and everything has been fine up until now. Not sure if this squeeking and knocking is related. Any thoughts what this could be. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-09, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
Possible you have a bad strut on that side; the knock sound could be worn upper (cap) pad that cushions the top of the strut where it is bolted to the strut tower.

Year & mileage?

Old 03-24-09, 05:11 AM
It is a 2002 with a measly 21,000 miles on it. I will be taking it to have it looked at but if this is the problem, how difficult of a job is it to replace these on this vehicle.

Old 03-24-09, 08:04 AM
Group Moderator
Wow, low mileage; I wouldn't expect struts to be worn out (or anything else). Not a difficult job generally, they can be had as a unit with the spring already installed

Old 03-24-09, 08:35 AM
I had the dealer inspect it back in January and they found bad control bushings so they replaced. This was evident with a thumping noise under the vehicle occasionally. The extended warranty was still good but it has expired now. I should probably just take it back and have them look at. Maybe something will be covered with thatlow of mileage

Old 03-26-09, 08:55 PM
I would take it back and have them look at it, usually dealers will take is as a recheck if it has only been a few months