Balljoint ?

Old 03-25-09, 10:31 AM
Balljoint ?

I have a 2002 PT cruiser ( only 21,000 miles on it) and the problem I am having with it, people I talk to think it is a balljoint problem and I will be taking to a shop shortly. My questions are:
1) If only one side is bad do shops like to replace both sides
2) Roughly how much does a shop charge to do this kind of work
3) is a wheel alignment needed

I am trying to gauge if this is going to be a couple hundred dollar repair or a $1000 repair. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-09, 11:03 AM
The shop will most likely try to convince you that both need to be done. However, if only one is bad replacing one is fine.

I think a single ball joint replacement costs $300 or so after tax, but don't quote me on that.

An alignment will be needed.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 03-25-09 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Not necessary to quote entire post.
Old 03-25-09, 01:30 PM
Group Moderator
Should be nowhere near a grand even if you do both sides. The shops like to do both sides because if one is worn out it would increase the likelihood the other one won't be far behind.

Refresh my memory; what part of the country are you in? If you're in snow country (i.e. road salt) probably good insurance to change both.

Oh, and yes on the alignmetnt.

Old 03-25-09, 03:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The cost can all depend on where you go. One garage charged me list price $93and an hour of labor for $180. The mechanic I normally go to beat that price quite handily. She gave it to me for part $28 (wholesale) and 3/4 hour labor $95 total. I do help her occasionally by registering cars that she sells, in other words going to the DMV for her.

Old 03-26-09, 02:31 PM
I also gave the mechanic a case of Corona beer.

Old 03-26-09, 06:08 PM
people I talk to think it is a balljoint problem

I would seriously consider hearing what the shop has to say before going into a panic over Misplaced advice.

What is the car doing wrong????? 21,000 seems awfully young to need ball joints unless your doing "Off-road Rally Racing " on the weekends.

Weve had loads of problems with control arm bushings on these and the New Calibers,and Neons, but Im yet to do a BJ replacement on a low milage "P" Line car.

Old 03-26-09, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
He's also been chasing a squeek/thump problem, Uncle, so I'm beginning to wonder if you aren't on to something with the "off-roading". Also haven't heard if he's in snow country and suffering from road salt rot.

Here's the other thread:

http://forum.doityourself.com/automo...end-noise.html

Old 03-26-09, 07:17 PM
Didnt see that one............

But, ........Sway bar Links and bushings are another common spot on these vehicles.

On a straight , flat road, at 15 to 20 MPH, "Rock" the steering wheel rapidly left to right. If you hear a Knock in the Floorboards, the Bushings are worn out and should be replaced. The Squeak you are hearing is the sway bar rubbing the inside of the bushings as it Flexes, instead of absorbing the torque as it twists.

Also, Directly behind the brake rotor, is a small metal TAB, which is used as a heat shield for the BJ. They can distort and intermittently rub on the inside face of the rotor, producing the same squeak noise as a "WEAR SENSOR" on a brake pad.

Old 03-26-09, 09:40 PM
the lower control arm bushings are famous for failing, also wheel bearings or sway bar bushings

Old 03-27-09, 11:31 AM
I must've misread a 0 My balljoint failed at 213,500 miles. If a balljoint goes at that low mileage, I probably would be concerned with other things on the car going.