2000 Taurus overheating problem

Old 03-28-09, 11:42 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2000 Taurus overheating problem

Pulled into a parking lot on my way home from work for a errand, and noticed temp gauge going up to hot.Made it home, found some anti freeze around the engine but coudn't find any leaks. Noticed that the cooling fans were not coming on. Checked the fuse, voltage to the fans(14),and plugged in a scanner. It said the engine coolant temp sensor had a high input. Replaced with new, still the same problem.There are two other relays (high and low fan control) in the circuit also. Haven't changed them yet. Any thoughts what it could be?
Thanks,Dave

Old 03-28-09, 12:09 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can look at a Mitchell's wiring diagram to see every single thing involved with the cooling system, electrically. Wires will be shown as color coded jsut like what you have in the car to make running down the wires easy.

For every car I have owned, I go to the library's reference dept. and photo copy my cars entire wiring schematic. This has saved me time and money in running down electrical problems.

I'm not sure on this, but I always make sure air is out of the system so that the temp sensor is not sensing internal engine air temp (as opposed to coolant), as that may give erroneous info to the computer and relay, and not let fans come on, when they should, perhaps. And perhaps not even open the thermostat as it should(albeit you shoud be able to tell something regarding that, by feeling the upper hose. to make sure it feels hot.)

If engine overheats on you, also turn on the heat and blower full blast to help dissipate heat. If you get too hot, roll down window(s).

And make sure belt to water pump is on and not loose.

Be sure radiator cap maintains pressure, and coolant is 50/50 so that in case of overheating, the boiling temp is raised to about 265 degrees.

Old 03-28-09, 01:12 PM
D
Thanks for your help ecman.I just checked the ground wire on the fan(s) connectors. Positive side of the battery, to each ground wire. Shouldn't I get 12 volts?

Old 03-28-09, 01:47 PM
G
there was or is an issue with the coolant circulation in the 97-02 taurus's. you may have a coolant reservior leaking or just very dirty coolant,or the fans might not be working,with the engine running and up to temp turn the a/c on and see if the fans come on.I have not looked at the wiring diagram that I have to see if the temp control controls the ground or power but I am pretty sure it controls the ground so you will not have 12 volts on the ground side until the demand is made.
good luck

Old 03-28-09, 03:24 PM
D
Hey Greg, I just took it for a ride and turned the AC on.Came back, looked under the hood - no fans on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: