It isnt that hard....

Old 03-28-09, 03:13 PM
It isnt that hard....

Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
As I just mentioned in another post today, run off copies of the entire wiring diagram of the car .

I do mine, for every car I own, at the library. Giant size Mitchell's books in the reference dept. that you cannot check out. Shows where all the wires go. And all wires listed by color so you can trace.

I recently found why my headlights did not work after I also discovered the left and right headlight fuses did not have hot feeding them: By looking at Mitchell's wirign diagram, I could see that my combo steering column's directional + hi-lo beam switch + windshild wiper washer lever rod was the culprit, since I could see on the wiring diagram that the lever is what feeds hot to the fuse block!

WHO LOVES YA??????------And please do tell our listening audience how difficult it was and how many painstaking days were spent at the copy machine???????

As a Professional Tech, I shouldnt repeat this, But 99% of the buisness is the ability to "Think it out".The 1 percent is having the tools to do your job.....

I'm a firm believer that Information is a tool......and at 50 cents a sheet, It still beats 40 dollar pliers and 70 dollar ratchets.

Thanks to ECMAN...And I leave you with a Question......

If you dont know what it does, or how it works, How in Gods name are you going to fix it?????

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-09, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Not violating any copyright laws, are we? Beer 4U2

Old 03-28-09, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
I think when they put them (or allow them) in the library..as long as it's personal use..it's ok. Now if I copied it all and posted it here and charged for it...then..someone would have a problem.

Old 03-29-09, 10:41 AM
Thanks to ECMAN...And I leave you with a Question......

If you dont know what it does, or how it works, How in Gods name are you going to fix it?????[/QUOTE]

There's usually a section in all factory manuals that describes each system and how it works. Not sure about Mitchell manuals though. Most aftermarket manuals are garbage.

Old 03-29-09, 11:13 AM
nap
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Not violating any copyright laws, are we? Beer 4U2
well, that is a problem but as gunguy stated, since the copying is not done for financial gain, it is generally overlooked.

we can actually check out the manufacturers service manuals our library has on the shelf. No need to copy.

also, many libraries subscribe to a service where those manuals are available online for card carrying library patrons. You need to speak to your librarian to find out.

Old 03-30-09, 06:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
WHO LOVES YA??????------And please do tell our listening audience how difficult it was and how many painstaking days were spent at the copy machine???????
I'm trying to figure how to 'take' this post.

Well, anyway. Here we go: I happen to a have a long backround with cars since highschool and I learned basics. I do not profess to be in the league with certified mechanics who have devoted everyday of their life to the field.

A persons age though can come in handy when you start adding up your basic aggregate experience. Experience even includes not necessarily doing all the work yourself, but how to go about diagnosing the problems.

As far as the library went - I have also had experience over the years using copy machines at the library. The cost is only 10 a copy! I found my wiring diagrams within minutes in the thick books, as they list the year(s) on the cover, the make of cars listed, and what subjectmatters are in the book (i.e., "electrical" in this case) The reference desk librarian even dismantled the book so I could photo copy it. The whole thing from me entering the library to leaving was only about 15 -20 minutes.

As a Professional Tech, I shouldnt repeat this, But 99% of the buisness is the ability to "Think it out".The 1 percent is having the tools to do your job.....
Admittedly, the ability to thinks things out comes with prior experience with thinking out mechanical things. And the more experience you have developed in this life, dealing with mechanical things, the more you are able to work on even those things you are unfamiliar with. There are certain similarities often employed from one mechanical contraption, to the next.

I'm a firm believer that Information is a tool......and at 50 cents a sheet, It still beats 40 dollar pliers and 70 dollar ratchets.
In my case, 10 a sheet. But even at 50 , still a bargain. You still need your tools though.

If you dont know what it does, or how it works, How in Gods name are you going to fix it?????
I never got into that aspect of things. Obviously, likewise it does nobody much good to run a copy of blueprints for a house if the person has never held a hammer. But it is still worthy of mention I'd say, to be able tell people that one very valuable 'tool', in trying to run down electrical problems, is when you can see for yourself, the various electrical things on your car, and all the wires and their color codes, including switches, relays, etc., that are involved in the circuit in question.

And if the person needing help can't figure out what they are even looking at, perhaps someone else - a friend, a next door neighbor, a relative, or even their general mechanic, might be able to help if they had such diagrams that you can supply them with.

Yesterday I was outside helping my neighbor diagnose why his car does not turn over (just loud clcking from the solenoid piggybacked on the starter) even though he had a local garage install another starter. With help from one of my manuals, and a mirror and a light, I was able to compare the manual's diagram of a typical starter/solenoid to that on his car, and know exactly where to try to jumper the starter to see if it, or the solenoid, was bad. (Not the battery, as I erased all doubt by sticking my own car battery, that can turn over my bigger engine, in his car. And not the engine froze up as you can easily rotate the engine by hand).

And now we know what is wrong with his car. And I was able to show him the starter/solenoid schematic (as you can barely see the end of the solenoid and starter by looking through a void in the intake manifold), and school him in how it all works. And he seemed to enjoy that -to learn this. And now he will be able to speak with a little more authoritative knowledge when he re-talks to the mechanic that did the work. (They are the ones that never bothered to even take off the cables off the battery posts. )

Old 03-30-09, 03:06 PM
I'm trying to figure how to 'take' this post.

Just giving credit where credit is due.......It wasnt really all that difficult, was it?????

With the economy the way it is, more and more people are "Forced" to DIY..... Which is not a bad thing, But Undertaking certain tasks , While "BLIND" and misinformed, At best , costs more money than having a pro fix it, and in the worse cases, can be severely Hazardous.

Just as in the Electrical forum, or the plumbing forum, There are things that Just simply should not be attempted By an " AVID" DIY'er, Much less a Misinformed, Un-Knowledgeable Novice with absolutely "NO" experience , and No idea of what they are doing or Why.

Just as an Example, Last year, Myself and several other members here, Tried to avoid, or discourage Air conditioning Questions. In this buisness There is no such thing as "MAGIC IN A CAN". While you can go to any parts store and for 25 dollars, purchase a Recharge Kit, While the Shop would charge you 200 dollars, seems like a Bargain, But the reality hits hard, when you are frostbitten and blind, because you didnt know what you were doing, and didnt do your homework as to what was involved.

I was simply Commending you ECMAN, for the best advice that could possibly be given......Arm yourself with the information you need, and the rest falls into place.

Old 03-30-09, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
I was simply Commending you ECMAN, for the best advice that could possibly be given......Arm yourself with the information you need, and the rest falls into place.
Okay. Well, then thanks! ..............................

Search this Thread