96 monte carlo egr valve

Old 03-28-09, 05:11 PM
96 monte carlo egr valve

looking at buying a 96 monte that has a replaced engine. kid says it needs an egr valve to pass inspection (check engine lights on) where is it located & how tough is it to change? any input would help. also do you think this cars worth it uninspected and needing rear struts for 600? also what would an egr cost??

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-09, 05:45 PM
The type would depend on the engine you have. Some of those are electronic and the others are vacuum operated.

All types are mounted into the intake manifold with some sort of access to exhaust gas = EGR. They're not hard to replace. I think I would try taking it off and cleaning it first, though.

Old 03-29-09, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
For the vacuum-operated type, also check all the vacuum lines. Some makes/models are notorious for having them leak/fail. Probably wouldn't hurt to have it scanned to see what codes come up just to be safe.

Old 03-29-09, 07:53 AM
If it has the 3.4 liter engine I would pass on it.More trouble than they are worth.

Old 03-29-09, 10:37 AM
depends what code it stored. The high mileage engines usually had a restriction in the egr passage in the plenum that would cause egr codes. So in that case it wouldn't need an egr valve.