9? Chys 2.2 3sp drops to 2nd whenever it wants

Old 03-31-09, 08:22 AM
9? Chys 2.2 3sp drops to 2nd whenever it wants

Plymouth Sundance 3 speed auto matic sometimes drops to second gear while driving and if the gas is played with a bit it will go back up in gear.
There is some confusion in what year it is but my Bro says it is a 94 with a 3 speed with no overdrive.
Any common issues

Update
VIN says it is US built
1st digit is "1"

Eng is 2.2
8th digit is D
Year is 94
10 digit is R
Built in Norwood OH
11th digit is N

Last edited by frankiee; 03-31-09 at 09:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-09, 03:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When I get back to my Haynes manual, maybe I can find something regarding the transaxle or in their troubleshooting guide, in case you do not get an exacting response from anyone. However, I do believe UncleDiesel here is a Dodge mechanic.

Old 03-31-09, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by frankiee View Post
There is some confusion in what year it is but my Bro says it is a 94 with a 3 speed with no overdrive.
According to the R in your VIN (!0th digit is the year code) Bro is correct....

I dont recall if this is electronically controlled or not. If it is, a Fluid Change---***NOT FLUSH**** will likely loosen up any debris stuck in the solenoid pack and pressure switches......

If this is a Basic " 604" ....Throttle pressure is Governed by a Steel rod , or a cable , from the Throttle body to the trans.....The get sticky over time and a good lube should fix you up....

Old 03-31-09, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
.... and a good lube should fix you up....
Unc,

Any opinions on that transmission Lubeguard(sp.?) stuff they hawk on "Sam's Garage" radio show? I think they claim some car manufacturers actually put some in? Sam recommends the stuff when people call in with transmission woes.

Old 03-31-09, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Unc,

Any opinions on that transmission Lubeguard(sp.?) stuff they hawk on "Sam's Garage" radio show? I think they claim some car manufacturers actually put some in? Sam recommends the stuff when people call in with transmission woes.
Truthfully.... Over the years I've learned that there is no such thing as "Magic In a Can"...Most of these products DO work to some degree, But Nothing short of a rebuild is going to replace a BLOWN seal, or A Planetary set that has Exploded. The way These products are marketed, Leads the public to believe all of their problems will be solved with a pint of "MAGIC GOO"....When likely , if it doesnt move anymore, All the goo in the world wont fix it....
Just food for thought for a moment.......Chrysler products , in the last few years have gone to An "UNLIMITED " powertrain warranty. If these Magic Products did so much towards performance , Fuel economy and Longevity, Why dont the MFR's use them at the factory????

As for Frankiee..I was refering to a bit of multi purpose grease on the Linkages......

Old 03-31-09, 09:03 PM
Thanks
I have relayed the message to my Bro who will do it in a day or two
I will let you know what he finds

Old 03-31-09, 09:10 PM
Just a quick Thought........

There was a return spring for the linkage , that would break and fall off..Make sure its still there. Work the throttle, and make sure the link returns to its stop when you release the throttle.

Old 04-01-09, 05:46 AM
Just an FYI. There is a failsafe system in chrysler trannies. I don't know how far back the go in putting them in. I can only speak from experience, that I know for sure it goes back to the 99-00 model years.

The system will automatically shift the car into 2nd gear whenever a malfunction is detected. This is done to protect it from more damage. I would try some of the suggestions here to see if they can cure the problem for you, but if not slowly drive it over to a referred tranny shop. Trannies = big$$$$ for regular mechanics who will outsource it anyway.

Old 04-01-09, 07:10 AM
I checked the Haynes manual, applicable to the posters year, and it lists a few things that probably do not apply. They say in the beginning of the troubleshooting guide, regarding the auto transaxle, that it is beyond most home mechanics, and you should take it to a dealer. However, theiir chapter on transaxles gets into some things you might want to know. Includes helpful photos of the linkage and other key things. It pays to own such a manual on your car, pure and simple, if you are an avid DIY'er.

Old 04-05-09, 06:05 AM
Those Chryslers with 3 speeds are junk! dont flush trans you WILL make it worse. My Wife had one when we first got together and it was terrible sometimes it would stick in 1st others like you are saying would pop out of 3rd. I made a friend durring a job change and he was a tech at a local Chrysler dealership he told me that whenever you are driving a 3 speed (same trans as some voyagers) come to a complete stop everytime you slow below 5mph! That they are known for blowing seals internally and force check balls in valve body back hard when you are decelerating and then give it gas again. I ended up installing a good used trans in my wifes old car then selling it (to her cousin lol) and the trans went on him less than 10,000 later. The reason you do not want to flush is because over time (60,000 and above) the trans has worn on the internal clutches (clutch pack). This goes for any vehicle not just Chryslers. When the clutches wear they deposit little clutch material in the trans fluid! This makes the fluid thicker (in a way) and so it helps the clutches grab together even though they are getting worn good. When you flush (or drain and fill some fluid (pan)) this lowers the thickness of the fluid or reverts it back to new fluid entirely! Now you have old clutches and fairly or entirely new fluid when the clutches go to work it makes them slip and all kinds of stuff internally. So I only reccommend a fluid flush under 30,000 and a partial change up to 60,000 but after that might as well leave it because it will work better now than after the change. Fluid additives also clog small ports and restrict flow so dont use any additives in an older car!

Old 04-05-09, 09:22 AM
Are all Chrysler transaxle transmissions junk, including the ones in small cars, or is it a certain transmission put in the vans?

I never believe in doing anything jerky with cars - to not put undo loads on the transmission, and timing belt, and whatever. No jack rabbit starts. I got over 270,000 miles out of my Dodge 4-cylinder auto-transaxle transmission, trouble free. Never leaked and did not get burnt.

I am always skeptical when I hear that some vehicle is labeled as "junk", as that sort of imnplies the engineers who made it must not have known what they were doing, or the car manufacturer intentionally cheapened out. Often times it is owner neglect, fate, or?, that causes people to get down on a certain brand vehicle.

Old 04-05-09, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Well...I know Yugo's were junk.. no if's, and's or but's...lol

Old 04-05-09, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post

Weren't Vegas, also?

Old 04-05-09, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Not once you redid the frame, suspension and rearend and dropped a hot V6 or smallblock Chevy in...lol.

Actually the problem with the Vega as I remember was the aluminum 4 cyl they put in. My parents had the Pontiac version (Astra?), both a sedan and wagon, which had a different engine I think..and they were pretty good little cars for the time. In fact after I rolled the wagon at 45 mph, my Dad went and bought another one exactly like it.

Old 04-05-09, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post

Not necessarily....You payed 4000 dollars , brand new and fully loaded......And I dont think it was ever intended to be a work horse...

There are good and bad with every brand.....Just some more than others....

I absolutely love the expression on a customers face , when their Dodge caravan is coming off the flatbed, with a river of trans fluid behind it. They stand there and adamantly bad mouth the quality of the vehicle. They threaten to call the better buisness bureau...... They cuss and scream, and at that precise moment.........The TOW HITCH gets caught on the edge of the bed. When you ask what they were pulling, The answer is always the same......"Just a small watercraft".......As the tow driver goees back to retrieve the 52 foot "Striker" from the side of the highway....

It basically boils down to this.....While SOME models of SOME carlines are built with less craftsmanship than others....It isnt the cars fault that YOU spent WAY too much money on something that didnt live up to YOUR expectations.

As an example, I work for Chrysler. The new Challengers with a 5.7 HEMI are close to an Instant Race Car. Put that same 5.7 in a 2500 dodge ram pickup, and ....Well, not so much.....

On the flip side , the Challenger was never meant to Tow a Boat, but the RAm makes easy work of it.

Old 04-05-09, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Even at $4K..they were overpriced. Esp when the dealers wouldn't honor the warranty 3 months after purchase since the company went out of business here.
No..I didn't buy one..but a friend did..against my advice.

Anyway, I hear ya..some cars do get a bad rap...but some deserve it.

Whats the old joke.."During military action in Yugoslavia, the Yugo facctory was completely destroyed by bombing. Careful analysis revealed damage to be estimated at $300." lol