Oil Pump and Fuel Pump

Old 03-31-09, 01:43 PM
Oil Pump and Fuel Pump

Got two cars, 1990 Honda Accord 4Drs AT 192K miles and 1995 Toyota Camry V6 LE AT 92K miles. I have questions on oil pump and fuel pump on these two cars. Does anyone know how long will they last under normal drive condition (miles or years)? Are they easy to change?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-09, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Impossible to say. You can get pumps that fail at 200 miles, or others over 200k. Why do you have questions specifically on those?

Old 03-31-09, 02:43 PM
Recently I have my Accord's both fans failed at around 191K and eventually it is due to carbon brushes worn out. About a month later, my alternator failed. Again it is due to brushes, too. I fixed alternator by changing brushes. I am concerning about if oil pump fails due to this "brushes" thing, my engine will be overheated. If fuel pump fails, I will need my car towed. If all these's brushes are approaching to it end of life, I would rather to change them now.

Old 03-31-09, 03:12 PM
if oil pump fails due to this "brushes" thing, my engine will be overheated. If fuel pump fails, I will need my car towed. If all these's brushes are approaching to it end of life, I would rather to change them now.

Oil pumps are not driven electrically,(Unless you have a Rare late Model Chevy Corvette) and therefore dont have "Brushes"...But in any event, if the oil pump were to fail, Overheating will be the least of your worries......Severe engine damage will result.

I suppose you could change them at any interval you feel comfortable with, But I have seen parts last 3 days, and Ive seen parts last 45 years...My 1966 Plymouth still has the original Alternator... There is no "Scheduled" maintenance on Parts of this nature.... and likely all you would gain is piece of mind and a Lighter Wallet.