'04 Police Interceptor Wiring

Old 04-01-09, 01:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
'04 Police Interceptor Wiring

Hi everyone! This is regarding my 2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. Perhaps some of you have some input...

I don't have a console and need a power point (cig. lighter type thing except no lighter) at least temporarily for a trip for our GPS until I get the console. There is an adapter there, adapter type C299, with three wires attached, light blue/white, brown/pink and black. The female plug attached to the male has these three wires coming off that were snipped. I tested for voltage and found that lightblue/white and black and brown/pink and black have 12 volts with engine off, 14 while charging. I did buy an auxilary 12 volt power point and used either lb/w or br/pk for the positive, and black for the negative ground. Once I wired it up, I tested for voltage with the power point itself. It checked out. However, when I plugged the GPS cable in, the GPS cable started smoking quite badly. Naturally I shut off everything and pulled the battery. Smoking stopped. At first I thought I had wires touching or something, but it was the GPS cable itself that burned up, no scorched wiring or nothing.

My question for you is simply any idea what mistake I made and why what I did was wrong/why it made my GPS cable blow? GPS cable is rated at 12-24V so I'm a bit confused as to why it blew. Now that I think back, I sort of remember my underhood light not coming one when I had wired it up and reconnected battery power. After I did power down everything and pull the cable I do believe I also heard some noise come from near the passenger area under the hood, not sure how to describe it.

Perhaps did I put positive power to the wrong part of the power point (the outside of the can instead of the centre)? If that's true, would it work if done the other way. And does it sound like I damaged the wiring in my car? There have been no fallout problems observed yet.

Thanks a million!

Old 04-01-09, 02:07 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Probably did not hurt the car. You may have blown a fuse at the other end of the C299 adapter, but I doubt it. Since you seem to be able to test voltages, check to be certain that you have 12 volts (nominal) at the center of the power socket and zero volts on the outer shell. Direct current only flows one way and you cannot reverse connections. Also, the GPS adapter may have internal circuits in the plug to reduce the 12 volts to whatever voltage the GPS requires for operation and battery charging. You probably fried them when you reversed polarity. Double check your wiring and buy a new GPS cable.

Old 04-01-09, 02:42 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
GPS cable

My GPS (Garmin) has a fuse in the socket that plugs in to the lighter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: