Soft brake pedal '01 Mazda

Old 04-04-09, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
Soft brake pedal '01 Mazda

OK, 2001 Mazda Tribute V-6, disc/drum..no anti-lock, 132K, pads/shoes rotors/drums replaced about 20K back.

Coming back from a trip..brake pedal started going further and further down when slowing. Luckily only had 2 more stops before I got home. Fluid level was fine, checked before I left, and still good. No apparent leaks (haven't pulled wheels yet), nothing visible on wheels or backing plates though.

Pedal is soft as it goes down...just no braking force til almost end of travel. Pumping doesn't help.

I'm guessing master cylinder?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-09, 09:51 AM
I think your guessing right

I do believe your guess would be correct at least thats what I would try. What is happening is a bad o-ring in the master cyl plunger so there is no pressure being built because the fluid is bypassing around the o-ring.

Old 04-08-09, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Ok....what the heck do you clean the reservoir with? I have to transfer it to the new master, but its got a ton of junk that I want to get out. Everything says do not use solvents, since its plastic.

Come on, I'm ready to get this done, just gotta clean it up first.

Old 04-08-09, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Awww nevermind..called a local brake place and they said..they just replace it...???? Must be why I got a rough estimate for $400 for a master cylinder replacement and flush...WTH is up with that! Must have been all factory parts I guess.

Finally my brain kicked in...alcohol..cleaned up fine..blew it out with air..letting it dry in the sun completely now. Doing a full flush anyway, so everything should be good.

Search this Thread