Before I buy part, did I finally solve this?

Old 04-04-09, 02:55 PM
Before I buy part, did I finally solve this?

I have a 92' Ford Ranger XLT with 2.9 V6. I posted this problem week before last. It died on the freeway, and I have been unable to start it ever since. It cranks but doesn't start. It is getting spark, the 3 year old fuel pump spools up, and I can hear clicking from the relays. In addition, I connected a scanner that did not return any trouble codes.

I hooked up the fuel pressure gauge to the Schrader valve, and the pressure was very low or zero. I also keyed ignition ON and START with either fuel return line or fuel supply line disconnected at fuel pressure regulator. Nothing came out from the fuel return line. But plenty of gasoline came out of fuel supply line (or whatever line curves down and attaches underneath regulator). It wasn't a jet of fuel, but more like a fountain of fuel.

Today, I sprayed starter fluid into the intake. The engine ran for about 5 seconds and slowly faded out.

Is this problem a faulty fuel pressure regulator then? It is the original regulator from 1992.

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-09, 03:45 PM
I thought you added fuel and got this thing started - or was it still not running right?

However... if you, with fuel in the tank and pressure gauge hooked up, all lines attached, key the ignition for about three seconds a couple of times and you have five lbs of pressure (or about that), you have a bad pump, or a bad regulator, or an insufficient supply of fuel going to the fuel pump/engine.

If you plug the regulator port that connects to the return line (neoprene tube with hose clamps and the end of the hose plugged with a bolt) and key the ignition a couple of times to build up pressure, your pressure gauge should read at least 40 lbs of pressure.

If you don't have that pressure with the port plugged, the problem is before the regulator - the pump or in the feed to the pump.

Has your Ranger been ran out of fuel sometime recently, prior to the dieing on the interstate?

Old 04-04-09, 04:25 PM
It ran poorly when I added gas last week, so I immediately cut if off. The truck has never run out of fuel. I added 4 gallons of fuel and the fuel gauge showed a corresponding increase. It's showing midway between quarter and a half tank.

What do you mean regulator port? There is a Schrader valve, and there is a quick connect fitting for the line that trails horizontally from the pressure regulator. This is the fuel return line,correct?

Old 04-04-09, 05:15 PM
Its the return line fitting on the regulator. You were getting the fuel (fountain from the inflow line from the fuel pump to the regulator) The line coming out of the regulator would be the line back to the fuel tank. That flow back to the tank is the one you need to block off.

The added fuel shouldn't be changing the output of the pump significantly.

What is the highest pressure you have been able to get at the fuel rail with fuel added to the tank? If you haven't gotten above 10 lbs go to the last sentence.

** The reason I asked about running the truck out of fuel is it's hard on fuel pumps.

I did some checking - that truck has the in tank fuel pump, not the in frame. Plan on replacing the pump.

I suspect when you're adding the fuel the level of fuel in the tank is crutching a bad fuel pump. There could be some other things like a plugged screen in the tank or a pickup tube loose. But I believe you'll have to go into the tank for the fix.

Old 04-04-09, 06:11 PM
The highest pressure I had earlier in the week was 5 pounds. When the ignition key was turned OFF, it creeped up to about 8 pounds. Last time I checked it was zero at all key positions. I understand the location you want me to block off now.

I guess I still do the fuel pressure reading at the Schrader valve?

When I do this other test you're talking about, what results would tell me it's the pressure regulator?

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 04-04-09 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-04-09, 08:25 PM
Everything considered, without a flow through the regulator and at the same time only getting 5 lbs of pressure, I'm afraid it points, pretty much conclusively to either the pump or something as mentioned before, in the tank.

If the regulator was at fault, in your situation, you would have an unrestricted flow through the regulator. You're getting nothing and no pressure = probably the pump or back to the other tank stuff.

Blocking off the regulator isn't necessary.

Just for information, though, when you have a fuel pressure issue it normally boils down to the pump, filter, or regulator. Sometimes the latter is letting the fuel pass and not building up the pressure from the good pump. Without the pressure at the rail you have to decide if the problem is in the pump or the regulator. If you block that return line/port off and the pressure builds at the rail, then you assume the problem is the regulator. It's a way of sorting the problem between the two components.

First you make sure the pump is running and you have gas, then on to these tests.

Old 04-04-09, 09:52 PM
Ok, thanks very much. At least now I now how to use a multimeter and do some troubleshooting tests.

Installing a fuel pump or looking for tank issues might be beyond my scope.

I already got an estimate for a fuel pump installation. Last question. Does $399 parts and labor (for fuel pump only, reuse sender unit if still good) sound like a fair price for Arizona?

Old 04-05-09, 05:40 AM
is there a way you can disconnect the line into the regulator and install your fuel psi gauge to just the line? this would tell you if your regulator is bad or not. 399 with about 80 dollars an hour for labor and about 2 hours to remove and reinstall tank and an hour or so for replace pump plus parts (120 ish) sounds fair. beware you may encounter broken studs on the fuel tank - thats where they may try to get you...

Old 04-05-09, 07:25 AM
OK a few tricks (secrets????)........First, unless your bed is FULL of stuff, remove the eight bolts that hold it to the frame. Unscrew the filler neck from the body and ,make sure there are no ground wires attached underneath.........NOW> Have a friend help you lift the frt of the bed so the truck looks like a dump truck. Put a jack stand between the frame and a reinforced part of the bed and viola!!!! You now have access to the tank and fuel pump without having to crawl under all day........Also........There ARE adapters available to seal off the return.("deadhead" the pump) so that one can run injector cleaner through the system........I don't know if those plugs are available seperately or if you'll need a whole kit. Maybe rent or borrow one???

Old 04-05-09, 07:30 AM
From his posts I took it he has fuel to the regulator and nothing is coming through it. With no pressure at the Schrader valve it would point back to the fuel pump or in that area.

Last edited by marbobj; 04-05-09 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-05-09, 10:08 AM
I don't mind doing a couple more minor tests. Always willing to be open-minded. I need to have this truck running soon, and I have had enough of public transportation. I don't have anyone to help me either, and it makes it harder without a back-up vehicle.