1986 Nissan Sentra Auto, won't go anywhere!

Old 04-08-09, 11:23 PM
Exclamation 1986 Nissan Sentra Auto, won't go anywhere!

1986 Nissan Sentra auto runs great but wont go into ANY gear, shifter moves but wont engauge. have to hold shifter forward to get engine to start. When not running can shift into neutral to move car. previous owner Been having shifter problems for about 1 year now. Linkage moving gear selector on transmission/transmission full of oil & does not smell burnt. Someone told me it was a defective transmission range switch but I don't know where it is or how how to check it. Car only has 67,000 miles on it! PLEASE HELP!!!!
Contact me at [email protected] please.
Thanks

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 04-09-09 at 06:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-09, 05:31 AM
Your problem could just be the shifting linkage is out of adjustment. If you're maintaining the car yourself, I would either get a manual for it or go to the autozone site, register and look up the Automatic transaxle section for your year. It shows the information you need.

If the adjustments don't take care of it, post back.

Old 04-09-09, 08:12 PM
86 nissan sentra auto not moving!

I checked linkage adjustment in front going into transmission and observed action seems 2b clicking through all the positions. fluid does not smell burnt and looks good but used. I am perplexed! please help!
Thanks!

Old 04-09-09, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by okctim View Post
I checked linkage adjustment in front going into transmission and observed action seems 2b clicking through all the positions. fluid does not smell burnt and looks good but used. I am perplexed! please help!
Thanks!

Do the "Clicks " at the trans match with the "Clicks" on the shifter?????

Remove the shifter cable from the trans...push the lever manually into park detent, then ensure the shifter is in the park detent in the car.....Does the cable line up with the trans linkage?

Old 04-11-09, 01:55 AM
1986 nissan sentra automatic won't shift ANY gears?

Checked linkage all seems to be lining up with shifter/tranny. Next suggestion plz.....

Old 04-12-09, 04:49 AM
Originally Posted by okctim View Post
1986 Nissan Sentra auto runs great but wont go into ANY gear, shifter moves but wont engauge. have to hold shifter forward to get engine to start. When not running can shift into neutral to move car. previous owner Been having shifter problems for about 1 year now.
Thanks
Your shifter cable is out of adjustment.

Emergency brake on, trans in Neutral, at the end of the cable on the trany's end, loosen the nut that hold the cable to trans's shift linkage, use a small (1/8) drill bit to lign up the Park/Neutral safety switch, you will see a small hole on the linkage which has to be ligns up with with another small hole on the switch, get that done first and see if it can start in both Park and Neutral without holding the shifter, then go from there.

Search this Thread