95 VW Jetta DRLs

Old 04-09-09, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
95 VW Jetta DRLs

Howdy folks!! My 95 Jetta has 217,700 on it and it has those idiotic daytime running lights (dashboard and taillights are on all the time). Is it possible or too much of a hassle to get rid of the DRL system? Thank you much for any input and don't have too much fun!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-09, 06:41 PM
They are Integrated into the lighting system, and they must stay.

The easy alternatives, (Which by the way are Illegal in most states, for Safety inspection) is to disconnect the Parking brake switch, and Ground the pigtail......This disables the DRL, the same as Pulling the ebrake, but leaves the Warning lamp on the dash.....

They were put there for a reason, Just leave them alone......

Old 04-10-09, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
I think they're both idiotic and put there for a reason. I followed a lady into a hotel parking lot not too long ago to tell her her taillights were out. It was a rental car which she was unfamiliar with and had been driving with the DRL's on. Didn't think about it at the time, but I'm curious if her dash lights would have been on or not.

Now if the government and the auto engineers want to invent something really useful it would be a windshield wiper-headlight interconnect so when people turn their wipers on in a blinding downpour they wouldn't be able to drive around with no lights on.

Old 04-10-09, 06:54 AM
My friends Cobalt has the Wiper/Headlight interconnect. You turn his wipers on, and if they aren't turned off within 15 seconds the headlights come on. In Ohio it's not required to run the headlights if your wipers are on, so if we visit another state that does require that, it makes it impossible to run the wipers without the headlights

Old 04-10-09, 08:50 AM
Unhappy

There have been a couple of times I've been stuck with a new Cobalt as a rental car, and I'm totally unfamiliar with GM's automatic light system. Supposedly the headlights come on automatically when it gets dark enough (?) but in dusk conditions, how do you know if the full set of lights are on, or only the DRL's? The other concern I had is that when you get out of the car, the lights stay on for a while then turn off automatically. But being unfamiliar with GM cars, I ended up standing around to make sure the lights turned themselves off, as I didn't want to come back to a car with a dead battery. I've given up on seeing someone walking away from a car with the lights still on, and stopping to tell them their lights are on, only to be rebuffed with "they're automatic".

But yeah if you have DRL's, I'd leave them alone, as they're a safety feature and I can see no real disadvantage to having them. Much better than these idiots that are out driving to work before dawn with no lights on whatsoever.

Old 04-10-09, 10:17 AM
On his Cobalt when the regular lights come on, the dash illumination lights come on. That's how I knew the regular lights were on when I would be driving it at night.

Old 04-11-09, 03:41 PM
The funny thing is that I cannot tell the difference between DRL and my low beams, so I turned the headlight knob into a high beam switch by having the switch on and putting on high beams and then switching back to the DRLs. The part that burns me about this is that at night I cannot see my gas gauge bery well because that bulb burned out. The lights for my heater controls have been dead since I bought the car. What is the point of having dashboard lights on when the sun is out?

Old 04-11-09, 04:42 PM
DRL's are not for the driver, and really have nothing to do with Dash board Lighting.

Primary purpose is to Identify you as an Oncoming vehicle to the guy who is Blinded by the reflections off of the Blacktop.

There is also an "OLD MAN MYTH" relating to lighting and stabilizing the Charging system, but as mentioned, it is only a myth, since we dont use "Generators" in cars anymore.

Old 04-12-09, 07:25 AM
According to the glovebox manual, the dashboard lights are supposed to be on at all times. I have excellent night vision, so driving with just the DRLs isnt a visibility issue for me. I have driven away from gas stations at 2 AM in other vehicles without realizing I forgot to turn on my headlights for a few miles. I normally never use my high beams since they bother my eyes. I only use them to flash other drivers about speed traps or to get others to turn off their high beams. If you need high beams on a road with streetlights on it, I personally feel that maybe you shouldn't be doing any night driving. By the way, the car hit 218,000 miles this morning coming home from work.

Last edited by nightowlpunk; 04-12-09 at 07:29 AM. Reason: adding more