Flywheel replacment

Old 04-13-09, 03:22 PM
Question Flywheel replacment

32ft 1977 Pace Arrow Motor Home GMC chassis 454 motor...
Either the bolts to the flywheel have sheared off or the inner ring has broken. I removed the rear drive shaft to tow it to a friends house. What are the steps to remove and replace the flywheel. I,m stuck and I live in it....
Thanks Craig

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-09, 04:02 PM
Craig, you have to remove the trans to get to it. You already have drive shaft out this is step one, next remove 6 bolts that hold trans to engine. Remove the dust shield that covers the torque converter, then the three bolts that hold torque converter to flywheel, the converter should slide away from flywheel about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Remove fluid cooler lines, these are on the passenger side of trans about 2 inches above pan. Now put trans. jack under trans. using a ratchet strap to secure it to the jack. Raise trans. and remove mount and crossmember. If there is enough space under vehicle you may be able to slide trans. back and get to flywheel bolts, if not you will have to remove speedo cable, modulator vacuum line, and any other connections, and lower trans out of the way. Take note of how the flywheel is on the crankshaft, it is possible to put it on wrong. The humps for converter bolts should face the trans. This is a dirty, heavy job, but it is doable on the ground. Be careful the trans is heavy.

Old 04-16-09, 05:18 PM
Yep, wire twister is saddly correct!

I had this happen to my own vehicle and the trans had to be pulled to get to it.