'96 Buick Skylark Check Gauges light - stalls out

Old 04-19-09, 05:58 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
'96 Buick Skylark Check Gauges light - stalls out

The car has been running fine. Last night I picked up my daughter (1+ mile away) and noticed the Check Gauges light was on. Started up after picking her up, and still on. As I slowly entered our driveway (bumpy entrance) it died. Tried several times to start it, and it wouldn't start again. Finally left it barely in the driveway. Went out this morning & it still won't start. Acts like it isn't getting enough fuel, or maybe low voltage.
Fuel gauge says it's almost full. Oil is needing to be replaced, but not excessively old, and looks fine. All levels very good. No obviously bad electrical connections. Battery 12.5V. When it starts for a second or so (only rarely -most of the time it won't start, just crank), it's around 14.5V (hard to know if it won't run smoothly for a few seconds).
Any suggestions as to what to check next?
PS: This IS the Check Gauges lite, NOT the Check Engine/Service Engine Soon light.

Last edited by jstuart888; 04-19-09 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Clarify which idiot lite is on
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-09, 12:19 PM
Check fuel pump presssure. Ive always enjoyed getting em to the repair shop with my buddy cranking and the other banging on the fuel tank with a large hammer. Altho have seen regulators, relays and open wires also pose this problem.

Old 04-19-09, 08:36 PM
J
Resolved

I always get real nervous when I go banging on a fuel tank with a big hammer!

I had thought the fuel pump was the [technical term here] gizmo near the fuel injector throttle body [still think it's easier just to call it a carburator]. It looks like it had something sticking into the engine, like the old mechanical fuel pumps, but also had a cylindrical piece on top, with wires, like an electrical fuel pump. But as I studied the diagrams at Autozone, apparently the fuel pump is in the tank. So much as I like playing with gas tanks, I went following the wires & hoses/pipes. Yes, the problem was back at the tank (tho I didn't pound on it or drain it).

Thanks for the advice.