strut tower corrosion (Chrysler)

Old 04-19-09, 06:12 AM
strut tower corrosion (Chrysler)

I have a '99 Chrysler T&C with a bad noise in the drvier's side front tire. I've been trying to get it fixed for 2 years. I took it in and the verdict was replace the struts and strut mounts. Did that. The problem quieted some, but only for a little while and came right back. Took it in again, some time later. Got the struts and stabilzer links replaced (warranty on the struts). Problem did not go away for longer than an hour. I took it back and they swear they can't find the problem. One gentleman mentioned strut tower corrosion as the potential culprit. He wasn't too specific. Is it possible that strut tower corrosion has compromised the strut mount seating? Does that make sense? Is it likely?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-09, 07:00 AM
No, and maybe, but I would start by doing a few things:

1. Stop taking your car to those people, if they can't fix the problem in 3 tries it may well be a problem
that can't be easily fixed, and it may never get fixed, however you need to find a
mechanic that is at least willing to admit as much.
Ask around, some friends or relatives might be able to refer someone upfront and honest,
what matters is that they're not making you keep spending money.
So, then...

2. Does the noise go away when applying the brakes?

3. Is the noise only when hitting bumps, or anytime it's rolling?

Old 04-19-09, 07:04 AM
Open the hood.....look at the strut Tops...Is the BODY rusted heavily?????

Youve replaced the Stabilizer links....Did any one look at the sway bar Bushings????

Open the drivers door...and with both hands, Rock the vehicle from Left to right...If this duplicates the noise, have an assistant look under the vehicle while still rocking it. The sway bar should not "SLAP" inside the bushings.......

Very common issue!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-09, 07:12 AM
Thank you for the responses. The noise happens at bumps. There is rust at the strut tower. The rear heater pipes already rusted out, and a friend bypassed them. There seems to be rust issues with this model. The stabilizer links were left out by the mechanic (new guy) who says they are bad, which I believe, but the question is why they are going bad (again). As I drive, I hear a noise, which seems like some play in the strut. The clunking noise is gone without the links.

Old 04-19-09, 07:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also remember, you're in the northeast, and they love to use tons of road salt up there, which destroyies vehicles.

Old 04-19-09, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by elihu View Post
The clunking noise is gone without the links.
Replace the sway bar bushings......

The links are the connection between Strut and sway bar. The Bar will not slap if it is left "Hanging-Out" with nothing attatched.