Tie rod? Linkage? 86 cavalier

Old 04-20-09, 04:10 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tie rod? Linkage? 86 cavalier

What is this? My right wheel on my cavalier has that hook shaped arm with no bolt on, while the left side is fine. It started screeching at me when I turn to the right today and im emailing back and forth with the mechanic. Im not sure what to call it and my chiltons doesn't have a good pic of it.

Thanks!

CAS

Old 04-20-09, 06:57 PM
A
Better Pics

Here are some actual pics

First, right side wheel, which is fine:

Then left side wheel:

Both pics taken from back to front via the wheelwell. I also noticed that power steering fluid was shooting up through a pin hole in the cap on the reservoir when I turn the steering wheel-do Pwr steering caps have vents? I never noticed before.

Old 04-21-09, 05:18 PM
That would be a stabilizer link.....

Yes P/s Caps are vented......But they should not "Stream" fluid, unless the reservoir is overfilled, or you turned the wheel with the engine off...Be careful, P/s Fluid is flammable on a hot Exhaust manifold.

Old 04-21-09, 05:26 PM
A
Thanks! Some more info please?

I took it in this AM to my local mech. and he fixed the sway bar-it still makes a noise like something is rubbing on the cv shaft, maybe? Is that plausible? Its not the engine, and it didnt start until this other bit became uncoupled. It makes it most predominantly when I turn to the right (the side with the bad sway bar, since repaired)

thanks for the info about the PW steering fluid-I probably overfilled it worrying about this other thing.

Old 04-21-09, 05:34 PM
Exactly....

Your pic of the r/s wheel shows the link ...way to close to CV.....that distance changes when you turn.....

Not to pick on anyone.....But if your mechanic didnt see that, then you need a new Mechanic....

Old 04-21-09, 06:31 PM
A
Okay...

So im not understanding something then, the swaybar was fixed this afternoon, but I still heard the same noise. Is there something else maybe that he should have done, or adjusted? He didnt drive it, he went off of the pics, so he didn't hear the noise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: