Undercoating

Old 04-22-09, 04:54 PM
Undercoating

I'm looking for an undercoating system for my '67 Mustang.

I put in new floors now I need to seam seal the welds and undercoat the the bottom.

I heard of a disposable spray gun kit.

How would a sprayable truck bed liner work?

Can anyone offer some real advice on this..........what kind, where I can get it and how much $$$.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-09, 04:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Several years ago, when I had an 85 Volvo 240, it flunked the safety inspection due to about half the passenger backseat floor was missing. I got it welded and the welder told me after I showed the new piece to the DMV that I could undercoat it with a can of undercoat spray like a spray paint can style method of delivery. Hope this helps.

Old 04-23-09, 05:22 PM
Truck bed Liner?????

You would probably have the most Expensive Under carraige around......Yes it would work very well, but the expense of a specialty Item is Just "Overkill". I would agree with Night owl...3m , permatex, and probably a dozen others make rubberized undercoating in spray cans.

Old 04-24-09, 03:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"You would probably have the most Expensive Under carraige around"

but it is a 1967 Mustang

Old 04-24-09, 12:30 PM
I easily could come up with a few mutilated Ford slogans, but do not wish to tick anyone off. BTW I know a couple for Chevy too. Unless you are planning on making it an off road Mustang, you probably shouldn't need the truck bed spray lining (The mental picture of a jacked up Mustang is priceless especially with mud bogger tires is a great lmfao).

Old 04-25-09, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
.....3m , permatex, and probably a dozen others make rubberized undercoating in spray cans.
And my bigbox store carries it in their automotive aisles and it is a generous size hefty can. I am thinking about using it. But they say only to apply to clean dry surfaces, naturally. And here the idea of getting it, for people like me, is to thwart already rusting areas. Yet, if you apply it there, you maybe will hide ongoing rust and will wind up with a car held together only by rubber, after the metal disintegrates under it, and you don't see that occuring since you covered it up.

I've also wondered that even if you apply it where subject to salt and water, that it could work it's away under the undercoating and start this rusting action, and trap water/salt and make it worse than if you did nothing.

I still haven't tried out the can yet. I bought it because it was so cheap. ($2 and some, a can) If I get the chance I can go out to my car and say what it is exactly, as I have it in the trunk.

18 oz. can by Bondo. "Rubberized Undercoating".

Old 04-25-09, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
I easily could come up with a few mutilated Ford slogans, but do not wish to tick anyone off. BTW I know a couple for Chevy too. Unless you are planning on making it an off road Mustang, you probably shouldn't need the truck bed spray lining (The mental picture of a jacked up Mustang is priceless especially with mud bogger tires is a great lmfao).
Yeah man.......jacked up high by yellow air shocks, traction bars, a set of 60's wide tires ( raised white letters of course) glass pack mufflers with side pipes, headers, Cragar chrome rims, aftermarket hood scoop, pine tree air freshener hanging from the rear vew mirror......am I forgetting anything......?

This was the typical car at my highschool in the late 70's beit Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, Chevelle or the occassional 4 door Belvidere or Malibu.

Back to my Mustang......all of the under carriage is new. New quarters, wheel housings and floors........all of the rust has been cut out and new metal welded in.
I guess I'll just use a 3M spray can type.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-25-09, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Mackey View Post
.....am I forgetting anything......?

Yep......

FUZZY DICE.....!!!!!

Old 04-26-09, 09:41 AM
You also need the left shirt sleeve rolled up a bit with a pack of unfiltered Camels or unfiltered Lucky Strikes in it.

Old 04-26-09, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
And don't forget..after graduation, you hung your tassel from the mirror.

Mackey..what..no Pontiac folks at your school? No GTOs or Firebirds?

Old 04-26-09, 11:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"after graduation, you hung your tassel from the mirror."

Wow, I had totally forgotten about that. Do kids still do that? I can't remember if mine did or not.

Old 04-26-09, 12:36 PM
I graduated high school in 92. I didn't hang my tassel and lost it about a week later.