1995 Toyota Camry LE CV Outer Boot Change

Old 04-25-09, 04:43 PM
1995 Toyota Camry LE CV Outer Boot Change

1995 Toyota Camry LE 3.0L Wagon, AT, 92,500 miles. Both front right and left CV outer boots worn and need to be changed. According to Haynes repair manual, I need to take off axle to change boot. I visually checked and it seems like it doesn't need to be taken off for changing CV outer boot. Does anyone have any experience on this model for changing CV outer boot of front left and front right?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-09, 05:06 PM
Since you are consulting a Manual, I will assume youve never done one before??????

It can be done in the car, but I suggest you take it out as described....It requires some banging and there may be a circlip ot two holding the joints together.....

Remanned axles are dirt cheap at this point, why reboot it?????

Old 04-25-09, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Absolutely agree with Diezel; replace the whole shafts. On the Camry, the right side shaft comes out pretty easily, although you may have to wrestle the mid-shaft bearing support a little. The left shaft is the PITA as it is held in with a clip on the inner end of the shaft (inside tranny). Once you get everything clear you have to pry and pry and pry some more and then pray it finally pops free.

Old 04-25-09, 06:55 PM
I have done one axle assembly change in my Accord. I don't have problem of getting it off. While put the new one back, I have to use hammer to hit it from the other end of axle. Is this the correct procedure of installing axle back? If not, how I can make axle to sit it in tranny? Thanks!

Old 04-25-09, 07:01 PM
Completely acceptable.......

However , 1 of 2 things.....a block of wood, or put the axle nut on flush with the stub, before smacking it.... it will save the accidental "OOPS, I screwed up the threads and Now the nut doesnt go on" scenario.

Old 04-25-09, 09:02 PM
Do I have to drain transmission oil before taking off axle? In my Accord, I need to drain transmission oil before changing axle. However, Haynes repair manual doesn't mention this for my Camry. Are these axle easy to take off?

Old 04-25-09, 09:06 PM
By the way, where I can find repair info. in autozone.com. I can't find it. Are left and right CV half shaft the same?

Old 04-25-09, 09:08 PM
No need to drain it, Just toss a short bucket under the car to keep from making a mess, and enough fresh fluid to top off when your done.

If your doing this with a floor Jack, go as high as possible, one side at a time, The fluid will slosh to the opposite side, minimizing the loss.

Old 04-25-09, 09:19 PM
No the left and right are NOT identical.

The worst part is removing the axle nut, unless you have access to air tools. I suggest you pop off the hubcaps, remove any cotter pins, and have an assistant hold the brake while you STAND on the Breaker bar. A couple of good bounces should free it up.

I dont recall if the struts are adjustable or not, So undo the lower BJ and tie rod end, pry the control arm down to disengage the BJ, and pull the whole strut assembly toward you, while tapping on the stub, (Remember, I said Block of wood or Axle nut to protect the threads?) . Once the axle stub is disengaged, undo the "Hanger Bearing" and slide the shaft out on the right. The left side is a Pry bar between the inner joint and Trans. A quick "SNAPPING" motion will disengage it. Slide it out, Reverse to install.

Old 04-26-09, 06:58 AM
Group Moderator
It's on autozone.com; look under "Manual transaxle" in the Drivetrain section.

Old 05-02-09, 07:18 PM
Bought two CV axle assemblies and installed one on drive side last week. Drive for a week and look good. Installed another one on passenger side today. When I tested drive, the CV join (outer boot) seems not properly assemblied by manufacture or maybe due to inproper installation. Is it possible that CV join seperated caused by inproper installation if the whole CV axle is properly assemblied by maufacture?

Old 05-03-09, 05:48 AM
Whats wrong???

Im sure stranger things have happened, But technically, if it separated, it wouldnt fit in the car. You said you road tested it, so it must be in the car.

Tell us why you think it is seperated..

Old 05-03-09, 08:44 AM
After putting everything back including wheel, I started engine and shift it to backward. Car moved back about 8 feet then I heard loud noise in the front right side and car can't move any more. I checked the newly installed CV half shaft and saw the outer boot was little longer than what it was without installed. Pushed car back and lift it, took wheel off and hand feel the inside CV joint. I felt the CV joint already off like it is extended out and don't know how to put it back. Want to take back to where I purchased it to have it exchanged, but would like to know would it be assembly defect by manufacture or due to my improper installation. Any idea?

Old 05-03-09, 10:33 AM
Likely an incorrect Axle. Its too short. It shouldnt have enough room to disengage completely when flexed.

Did you match the length to the original?

Old 05-03-09, 12:08 PM
Took if off and get it exchanged. Installed back and tested drive. Everything seems OK now. The driver side and passenger side CV half shaft axle are the same for this car. Thanks for all replies!