the best way to get rid of a car

Old 04-25-09, 05:28 PM
Arrow the best way to get rid of a car

I slid into a car when it started raining the other night with my '97 Honda Civic with 63,000 miles. the left headlamp is bashed in. the hood is kind of crumpled and I believe it damaged the radiator. personally, i don't think it is worth it to repair. but i believe there is still some money left in it. am i delusional or will a junkyard take it for parts? i'd like to get a little money out of it

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-09, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator
Depending on the damage, a charity may take it if it is still drivable. You won't get any money, but you get a tax deduction next year.

Junk yards (oops..sorry, recyclers) will give you nada..unless its a popular car with street racers or customizers. Yours might be....

Old 04-25-09, 06:06 PM
There are people driving 97 civics with 200,000 plus miles that would love to have your engine and transmission, not to mention all of the other parts. Certainly worth running an ad, tell the story just as is. Call a salvage yard and ask what an engine and tranny would cost. I would bet $2,000 with a 50 foot guarantee. No, 63,000, that's a very low mileage vehicle, don't junk it, they'll smile all the way to the bank.

Bud

Old 04-25-09, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
Recyclers here are paying about $6/hundred# ($120/ton) which brings about $200 for an average car.

Old 04-25-09, 07:39 PM
I will try the salvage yard. Or recycler? I appreciate the help. I have not had this life experience until now and am very inexperienced with what to do other than donate it. I thought with the low mileage and yes, it still runs. But I wouldn't run it again til I got the radiator fixed.

Old 04-25-09, 07:59 PM
nap
if you deliver, I'll give you a couple hundred for it.

Seriously, with an honest 63k miles, it is worth that and more.

here is but 1 link:

Honda Used Engines Delivered to your door, used and rebuilt, Civic, Accord, Prelude

Old 04-26-09, 05:28 AM
Do you have any auto tech schools in your area. Sounds like a great project car.

Bud

Old 04-26-09, 04:39 PM
A very simple and free thing to do is to list it for sale on craig's list. My daughter's 2000 hyundai elantra with 120,000 miles on it recently had the tranny go out (4th gear, anyway). Not worth fixing as I only paid $2,300 for it a few years back. I listed it on Craigs List at 4:00 pm, and included the issues with the tranny. I sold it for $1,300 within about 20 minutes of posting and had 14 other inquiries before I went to bed that night.
People are always looking for a cheap car to fix up, and Hondas with low miles like yours are in high demand, regardless of damage. I wouldn't call the junkyard just yet.

Old 04-27-09, 02:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If this was a junkier vehicle, such as an 86 Thunder_urd, you could possibly donate it to a fire department for practice. That 86 was a car I had nothing but bad luck with several years ago.

Old 04-27-09, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, Ok..I apologize...didn't see the milage....personally, I'd duct tape and repair as required. Its a Honda (man, sucks I can't say "it's a Buick).

Hood, radiator and headlamp...what $500?

Old 04-27-09, 06:03 PM
If fixing it is not cost effective, I would think it's worth at least a few hundred $$$ as a parts car.

If you part it out yourself, you should be able sell the parts individually for a lot more. But, parting out a car is a lot of heavy, dirty work.

You could sell it as a parts car or the parts on Craigs List (free) - or eBay for a small fee.