Homemade windshield fog repellant?

Old 04-27-09, 05:41 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Homemade windshield fog repellant?

I guess you can spray some stuff on that makes it so the inside of your glass does not fog up. What is the active ingredient so maybe you can just get it and make/do it yourself?

Old 04-27-09, 08:16 AM
Greetings

Tobacco works well, My Grandpa used it all the time.

Old 04-27-09, 08:44 AM
C
Would it not be the same as spitting on the inside of a S.C.U.B.A. mask? If so, I would think the active ingredient would have to be some sort of acid/base. Or, you could just spit in a can for a week, then rub that on the windshield!

Just kidding.

Old 04-27-09, 02:26 PM
Shaving cream rubbed into a bathroom mirror prevents it from fogging up. It might work for windshields too, never tried it. Amazing how a windshield can fog up when cresting a hill if you don't have the defroster on.

Last edited by nightowlpunk; 04-27-09 at 02:27 PM. Reason: from is not spelled form
Old 04-27-09, 02:49 PM
You could probably just pull the MSDS for these commercially availble products to see the ingrediants.

Old 04-27-09, 03:45 PM
E
What is an MSDS. Sounds like a bad disease. Do you have a link to what you have in mind?

Shaving cream? How is it for streakiness then?

Spit? I tried to spit into some toweling this morning to get donut drippings out of my clean trousers, and I didn't hardly have any.

Tobacco? You are joking, right? Since you did not say whether to rub it on, or simply transport someone who is puffing away in your car. I do know that smoke on the inside of the windshield makes things worse. You clean it off the glass and figure that is what your lungs might look like if you smoke.

Old 04-27-09, 03:50 PM
MSDS is material safety data sheet, which shows all the ingredients and possible health, fire, and a couple other issues from the product.

You gotta totally rub in the shaving cream and wipe off the excess.

Old 04-27-09, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
You really should be careful what you rub onto your windshield.
Anti-fog window treatments are made to do their job but leave an invisible coating.
By putting some kind of concoction on your windshield you could find yourself driving blind in the right rainy, hazy, night driving situation.

I have used a couple of different types of anti-fog and some are better than others at being invisible.

Old 04-28-09, 09:23 AM
B
Why not RainX or rubbing alcohol which does the same as RainX?

Old 04-28-09, 02:20 PM
E
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
By putting some kind of concoction on your windshield you could find yourself driving blind in the right rainy, hazy, night driving situation.

I have used a couple of different types of anti-fog and some are better than others at being invisible.
The shaving cream idea I guess would qualify as a concoction, perhaps. But I was hoping maybe someone might know what they put in anti-fog treatment so that you can just buy it and skip perhaps unnecessary added ingredients that just might up the cost.

I remember some years back where I saw 'deck wash' advertised for about $7.99 a gallon. And it said on the back: Active ingredient: Sodium hypochlorite.

What products have you used and which is the better of the two IYO?

Old 04-28-09, 02:24 PM
E
Originally Posted by Boater59 View Post
Why not RainX or rubbing alcohol which does the same as RainX?
Are you sure that Rain-X is no more than the equivelent of alcohol? Rain-X is supposed to get into and fill in the microscopic pores of the glass. Does alcohol do that? I thought alcohol would just all evaporate. Could be wrong though.

Regardless, I would not want to apply that because the fog would likely gather into tiny droplets, and be another annoyance.

Old 04-29-09, 07:30 AM
E
Tried the shaving cream

What a mess! White goo. Then I put windex over it to get it off, and only smeared. Then had to use powerful degreaser. Then rinse. Then Windex again.

The presumption I guess is it will smear at the get go, but then dry to a residue and buff out? But it did not really want to buff. Maybe if a person had a sheet of glass laying flat on the ground where you could really bear down on it.

I decided to try it on my passenger half of the windshield only, so I could compare. Well, I never bothered to leave it since it caused a white goo film, so I naturally had to get it off. It was old shaving cream I had, but it still came out like coolwhip, so I doubt that was the reason. I even shook it good first, and could it hear it shaking around in the can.

Cleaning inside windshield is hard enough anyway, as you have to be a contortionist with your arms because of the slant of the windshield.

Old 04-29-09, 07:59 AM
B
Received 42 Votes on 38 Posts
Years ago I bought some Amway window cleaner that said it also eliminated the fog on the bathroom mirror. It did, don't know why I never bought it again. Anyway, a key ingredient in soaps are surfactants and that is what Amway is noted for, so I googled window cleaners and surfactants and found the link below. A little reading on surfactants might lead you to the ingredient you are looking for.
ANTI-FOGGING WINDOW CLEANER SURFACTANT MIXTURE - Patent 3819522

Bud

Old 04-29-09, 10:27 AM
The shaving cream works good on bathroom mirrors, never tried it anywhere else. I sw that tip in a helpful hints book.

Old 04-29-09, 04:01 PM
E
Bud,

Thanks for the article. I read a lot of it.

Now I have discovered that a probable cause to the fog is from a leaky radiator core! A very tiny leak. So tiny that I haven't really been able to tell that my coolant level has been going down. I thought I was smelling old musty car odor once the engine warmed up. Now I think it is coolant, in consideration of this fog that has been showing up lately in the morning.

Here is something funny: Here I am this morning, outside, in a neighborhood of rentals, applying that shaving cream, as previously mentioned, and then all the other related window cleaning I also mentioned about.

Well. Here I learned about an hour ago, after I spoke by phone with the landlord of these buildings, that a tenant, kittycorner across the street had been watching me out his 2nd floor window and called the landlord(they are friends) to tell the landlord that he thought I was nuts, because he told the landlord that he could see his maintenance man(me) vigorously cleaning the glass, in and out, on his(me) junk car. He couldn't believe anybody in their right mind would be wasting their time so intently cleaning glass on a junk car. So then I told the landlord that I should go back out there and do some other work on the car like clean more of the windows, vacuum, wax, or whatever.

Old 04-29-09, 04:05 PM
E
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
The shaving cream works good on bathroom mirrors, never tried it anywhere else. I sw that tip in a helpful hints book.
Maybe I did not do something right about the procedure? And couple that with the fact that you have to bend your arms weird to scrub on the sloped windshield. Maybe I'll try it on a small section of sliding mirror I have in my bathroom, just for the fun of it. I'm just curious if there really is substance to the story.

Old 04-29-09, 05:38 PM
It worked on shower steam up on the mirror for a week or so for me. Gel doesn't work though.

Old 04-29-09, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Shaving cream (even gel once you foam it up) will work in showers and bathrooms...for a while. But the Rain-X is probably close to the same cost of good shaving cream. Why not just use the stuff that works and is easy to clean. Rain-X used to have a concentrate that would make about a gallon..is it still out there?

Old 04-30-09, 06:43 AM
E
Fog indeed caused by leaky heater core!

If Rain-X really works - does it work on the principle that it will take the microscopic fog particles and gather them together into larger more seperated water droplets instead? Or is there something about Rain -X that simply makes the moisture like disappear? (If so, I wonder how.)

This is all nice to know, but as it turns out my problem is from a very small leak in the heater core. So small that I can't tell the coolant level going down. But I'm convinced now, as that being the cause, based on: 1.That initial smell when I first turn on the heat (but then thereafter I do not notice it) - 2. The fact that when I turn on the defrost setting, it actually gets worse. 3. The fact that when I toweling it off, it sort of smears a little, without all evaporating away.

After I leave the house in a bit, I will get some stop leak that says it even stops major leaks. If that can't even stop my apparent teeny pinprick leak, it can't stop anything.

Old 04-30-09, 06:46 AM
Not sure how accurate this is, but I heard that if you put ground black pepper into your coolant, it would take care of that kind of leak in the heater core. If you have an exterior radiator leak, you can fix that with a piece of potato. The guy who told me about that menitoned that the potato fix lasted more than 3 years.

Old 04-30-09, 07:01 AM
E
The pepper just don't float?

I wonder what he did to and with the potato exactly. Minced it?

I happened to think of something else after I submitted my post. Could it be possible, by design of the car, that since I have an a/c equipped car (even though soemone removed the compressor), that from rain, somehow rainwater is making it's way, say through the cowling to where the blower intake is, onto an evaporator pan and the drain line is plugged? Or is not that theory even possible, by how they design the heater core/evaporator combo?

It's the fact I really do not see the coolant level going down. If it is, I need to start measuring the depth, down from the top, I guess, to be certain. Also, that odor I initially get - I am not 100 % convinced it is coolant I smell. It smells like it maybe that - but also smells like it may be that smell you get from an old car that was stored somewhere unused for a year with the windows all rolled up and it was dank. Could be a combination of the 2 smells though.

Old 04-30-09, 10:45 AM
B
Small leak making the fog/steam makes more sense. Attack the problem, not the symptom. Good luck.

Old 04-30-09, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
ecman...heck yeah it can be caused by a clogged drain....find the hose or outlet and try blowing some low pressure compressed air in it....

Old 04-30-09, 02:50 PM
E
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
ecman...heck yeah it can be caused by a clogged drain....find the hose or outlet and try blowing some low pressure compressed air in it....
Based soley on what I said in my last post? Even though the a/c is not hooked up anymore? Just from the fact it has an evaporator pan that may collect water?

Or -hey! -maybe this pinprick coolant leak (if there is one) sits down there on that pan and it does not evaporate as fast as just water would, so even the most minute leak sits there and grows in size.

I wil try to locate a draintube or other outlet, and try to get it cleared.

BTW -today I took tape measure and measured from opening of reservoir on down to the coolant. Now I will see what is going on. And periodically with the engine cold, I will open up radiator cap to make sure coolant is to the top of radiator.

Old 04-30-09, 02:54 PM
E
Originally Posted by Boater59 View Post
Small leak making the fog/steam makes more sense. Attack the problem, not the symptom. Good luck.
I'll keep you updated. I am not going to add stop leak till I know conclusively I am losing coolant. And that it is not from rainwater making it's way through cowling into evaporator pan that has a clogged drain. (if that is possible)

Old 05-02-09, 05:49 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
windshield fog

For what its worth I put rain x on the outside of my windshield and later on was at a motel and the next morning when I came out every cars windshield was fogged up except mine???

Old 05-06-09, 06:35 AM
E
Somebody is going to get an earfull.....

...if the inside of my windows do not stop fogging!

Here, yesterday I dumped 3/4 bottle of a stop leak into the radiator, and 1/4 in the reservoir. I let the car idle and drove the car for about 40 minutes without shutting it off. I actually thought the smell and fog was disappearing.

Well, this morning, I went to check my coolant level in the radiator and the reservoir. The height of coolant in the reservoir never seems to change. Not good. And the radiator level was down like 1/2 inch. Hmmm. Not good.

So here I thought I was going to have to add say a pint and a half or something. But to my surprise, it filled to the top with only the equivelant of a few tablespoons worth.

Now you mean to tell me that this 'stop leak', which the company claims can even stop major leaks, is not able to stop some pinprick that leaks out a measely few tablespoons worth a day after I drive around for about 50-60 miles a day? I think a faucet drip can fill a gallon jug in that length of time, just from dripping!

Oh -and how so I really know it is likely fogging from the registers as opposed from some other source? Because it actually fogs first the area above each defrost register on my dashboard. And from there, every window in the car fogs up and I have to wipe the windshield, like a contortionist, as I drive- hoping I do not crash from performing this feat, similar to that frustrating game where you try to pat your stomach and rub the top of your head at the same time.

I do not believe the floorboard is wet, but I have to move stuff to see. I cannot tell any coolant smell in my car(now). But I'm not 100% certain on this as of yet. I did not smell it this morning. Other mornings I have thought maybe that is what I am smelling, but was not sure if it was that smell, or a musty old car register smell, or smell from the tires getting warm from still sporadically binding front callipers. Another issue, since I have gotten new rotor and caliper and brake hose put on, to stop that and it worked for a while and now it is back at it!!

Before I call the 'stop leak' company, in disgust, to tell them that since we can send a man to the moon....... (I love that line).......I will have to move some work supplies out from my passenger floor pan to confirm no wet on the floor. Also, btw, I never see coolant on the ground.

And I'll have to get to a shop to have them get the vehicle up on a lift so they can see if they can ream out any drainhole from the a/c evaporator pan in case old coolant or even rain water is pooled in the pan, causing this fogging.

Old 05-06-09, 07:14 AM
B
Received 42 Votes on 38 Posts
I haven't gone back and re-read the entire post so sorry if I'm duplicating anyone, but, a was watching a ford mustang (custom job) being worked on and know of a tauras where the ac duct work leaked. Both dumped a considerable amount of water when ducts/fan were removed, indication normal driving never evaporated all that was leaked in. The tauras was determined to be a recall so they paid for the work and the Saleen, well he had enough money to pay for the repair himself. Point is a water leak somewhere may be the source of your moisture as it sure sounds like it is not the radiator.

GL
Bud

Old 05-06-09, 07:24 AM
E
It did rain hard here again yesterday. That could be the only source(if that is even possible that it can make it's way through cowling and into the pan?) since my engine only has coolant and no water. The a/c compressor was removed so no condensation water can be the cause. Thanks.

Old 05-07-09, 06:21 AM
E
Just discovered - it really does leak

I put cardboard under the car on my asphalt drive to catch oil drips. This morning while checking the coolant level again in both the reservoir and the radiator, I found 2 green coolant spots on the cardboard at the firewall, about beneath the glovebox area. That seals the deal, as to whether or not the heater core leaks. (Oh, the hoses tho actually enter about in the middle of the firewall.)

Yesterday morning I added a little to the radiator and this morning I did the same. It's actually more than a few tablespoons, but not a lot more. I filled the turkey baster after I found how much I reinjected back into the radiator, and the volume is that of about a 3/8ths inch depth in one of those typical 1/2 pound deli food containers. That is miniscule for an entire 24 hour time period that also includes driving about 50 miles, with the system under maximum pressure.

If I were to put that deli container under my faucet and see how long between drips to wind up with that volume in 24 hours, the drips would probably 10 seconds apart or so. I will find out because I am going to run that very simulation.

And I'm miffed that that 'stop leak', installed as instrucucted, and I idled and ran car for 40 minutes with the heat even on -and the heater core must circulate well since my registers put out 147 degree heat!! I can't believe that stop leak did not stop it!

I was sold the stuff that is already emulsified, and not pelletized as the parts guy said they discontinued that stuff because too many people had complaints about it, warranted or out of fear, of clogging up their system. Where the emulsified brown gook did nothing. Not one iota.

So the company is going to hear from me. Maybe today if I find time.

Old 06-18-13, 05:00 PM
S
Defogger for windshield

I am going on a snorkeling trip in the near future. I have always used "spit", as someone mentioned earlier, to eliminate the fogging that occurs inside my goggles. On my last trip, I purchased some anti-fogging liquid at a dive shop. It was relatively expensive, though it worked well. I did some internet searches to find out what was in the stuff, and came upon a site that said to simply mix A FEW DROPS OF BABY SHAMPOO WITH SOME DISTILLED WATER. I tried it, and it works as well as the store bought stuff, at a fraction of the cost!..It wouldn't be much harder (or much more costly, given that a "no-name" baby shampoo can be purchased at your local dollar store) to mix up an extra large, gallon sized, batch. Since it is basically a detergent that has been PH balanced to the PH of a baby's eyes, I don't think there'd be any issues, like those that you experienced with shaving cream! ( I think someone was playing you with that one!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: