'93 Plymouth Voyager Van--disconnect auto door locks?

Old 06-05-06, 09:50 AM
M
Received 6 Upvotes on 4 Posts
'93 Plymouth Voyager Van--disconnect auto door locks?

Purchased this used van several months ago, to use as a 2nd vehicle (mostly to drive to work) . It has been a great running vehicle but with a minor annoyance for us.

It has the automatic door locks (that lock the doors once the vehicle reaches a speed of approx. 15 mph). I read in the owners manual that this is optional equipment (& must have been installed at the original purchaser's request.)

Can this be safely/easily be disconnected without having to take it to a dealer to do it? I realize it is a great safety feature with those having small children, but with no children and just my husband & myself, it's only a big nuisance.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
mxmom

Old 06-05-06, 02:12 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
it's only a big nuisance.

What nuisance? Yes the doors lock at approx 15mph. They unlock and open normally when you pull the door handle.
They may even prevent a car jacking. The next owner may just have kids.
I won't tell you how to defeat a safety device and hope others on the forum feel the same.

Old 06-05-06, 03:10 PM
M
Received 6 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Thank you for your input. I guess I never thought about the "hijacking" part--good point! However, we could (and do) lock the doors in our other vehicle whenever traveling in a non-familiar area . But living in a not-so-populated home area, this is not a major concern for us & these locks just create more of a hassle than anything.

And yes, the doors do unlock normally from the inside if you open the handle, but as a passenger trying to enter the vehicle without a key (or opening the sliding door to remove the groceries) it can be a real pain!

I'm not too worried about the next owners having kids--this vehicle's next home will be the local junkyard!

mxmom

Old 04-27-09, 09:53 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Auto Door Locks

Here is my problem -- My 1998 Plymouth Voyger was bought to use as a photo equipment wagon in my photography business. Recently whenever I drive the voyger the auto car locks go into a seige of dinging and clicking and nothing seems to stop this tirade of noise. Any suggestions? I would like to disconnect them as I do not want to really invest any money into this work horse.

Old 04-27-09, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Well, if you don't want the power locks to operate at all..you could probably just pull the fuse for them....if thats all it handles.

There are a couple of mechanics that will be around later. They may be able to help if you just want the autolock feature disabled.

Old 04-27-09, 02:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This feature seems 3 steps past redundant for those of us who live in an area like mine where it is safe to leave the keys in the ignition overnight. I don't deliberately do that, I just forget to grab the keys sometimes if I am bringing other stuff into the house.

Old 04-27-09, 04:29 PM
Unfortunately, The tirade of noises is probably a door latch that has failed. The lock actuator is part of the latch assembly , and is not serviced seperately. Short of Disconnecting each individual latch, and likely disabling your dome lamps in the process, There is no way to disable power locks.

On the other hand, AUTO Locks can be disabled, either by you, in the preferences menu on the Driver info screen, or any Chrysler dealership , thru a DRBIII scan tool. If you dont have an overhead console, or A preferences menu in the Left lower quadrant of the dash, Your kinda stuck with the Latter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: