saturn auto transmission

Old 04-27-09, 06:52 PM
saturn auto transmission

some times when I shift from drive to reverse the car will go forward

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-09, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like an electrical problem or short of some kind. Most transmissions nowadays are electronically controlled even though there is a mechanical linakge to the shift lever. I'm not sure troubleshooting it would be DIY.

Old 04-27-09, 07:25 PM
Thanks tow guy for the info. I had the car to transmission place. Originally it would not move when I put it in reverse. When I got it back thats when it started going forward when I put it in reverse. I took it back and it still does the same thing but it only does it once in a while. I am just trying to get an idea what may be wrong with it. I thought it may be the linkage, but the transmission place thought it would be the valve body, so he replaced it. The problem still persists. Any ideas?

Old 04-27-09, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
Nothing specific, just that it sounds electrical. If the Saturn is like a lot of newer cars the linkage does not mechanically do anything in the transmission (other than locking it up in Park), but rather it moves a switch, or set of switches, that electrically determines the gear.

I don't think I would be driving it very far (or very fast) before it was fixed. Could be ugly if it decided it it would rather be in reverse at 70 mph.

Search this Thread