92 Pontiac Transport Engine Trouble

Old 04-28-09, 07:19 AM
92 Pontiac Transport Engine Trouble

I have a 92 Pontiac Transport. When I last drove it the engine light came on then it quietly died - no chugging or missing - just smoothly lost power. Now it won't start. I checked the fuel pump and it spits out gas. I also have spark coming from the plugs. It cranks and turns over smoothly but just won't start. Can anyone help this single Granny? My garage in Canada wants $150 to scope it plus repair costs. If it is a simple sensor I can repair it myself. TY in advance Anna

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-09, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
A '92 GM product you should be able to pull codes yourself. Here's info:

Troublcodes.net Trouble Codes OBD & OBD2 Trouble Codes and Technical info & Tool Store. By BAT Auto Technical

The data link connector can be found in a number of possible locations. The one on my wrecker is under the left side of the dashboard above my left knee. If you can pull the codes you can post them back here for analysis; $150 would be pretty pricey in anybody's currency.

Old 04-28-09, 07:27 PM
92 is Pre-OBD, so the #'s wont match to anything we currently use.

No start Diagnosis based on trouble codes is a long shot on something that old. They were super simple, and didnt go anywhere near the amount of info available on an OBD or OBD 2 system. But here goes, Under the dash, is a rectangular connector, about an inch and a half wide, probably about 10 or 12 pins. After locating the connector, use a paper clip to jumper terminals A+B (They are the only 2 that are next to each other in the corner). Then watch the Service engine soon light. It will flash a series of pulses at you. 3 Passes for each code, and then start over...

Now, if I remember A TRANSPORT, is either a 2.8, 3.1, or 3.8 litre, Fuel injected V6. Just because the fuel shoots out , doesnt mean it gets into the chambers, It must pass thru the INJECTORS .

How did you check for spark..... Coil pak ignitions are difficult to check, since each coil carries 2 cylinders. A shorted coil can only fire one, while a single bad plug wire can disrupt both.

Sorry TOWGUY.....I should have looked at the link before Babbling

Old 04-29-09, 03:05 PM
Problem solved

It was a control module according to a mechanic from a freind of mine....he will fix it for me for $200 which is close to just the scope cost itself on Saturday.

Old 04-29-09, 03:34 PM
btw its a very easy fix.. go to an auto wrecked that has a small warrenty... replace save alot of money.. they work or they dont... so no probs using a used

Old 04-29-09, 05:00 PM
Group Moderator
You did good from memory for someone your age, Uncle. I only would have added that the string starts and ends with a "12". [I keep a couple of paper clips in my ashtray for checking mine when needed].

Search this Thread