Argument between friends: Can an obese person ruin shocks/springs, by.......

Old 05-02-09, 02:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Argument between friends: Can an obese person ruin shocks/springs, by.......

....sitting down in someone's Saturn car too quickly, without gently sliding onto the seat?

A friend of mine who knows I post here, very much needs the answer to this before his relationship with his lady friend(with the car)turns horribly sour, over this situation.

She is accusing him of potentially prematurely busting her car, as she claims a mechanic told her this can happen. Any truth to this? My friend needs some ammo, if possible.

This is serious...seriously. There are times when they go weeks without speaking to each other over certain issues.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-09, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
They need new friends...lol.

A speed bump/pothole/armadillo hit puts more stress on shocks and springs than a 400 lb person plopping down on a seat. IMHO

Old 05-02-09, 02:56 PM
Moderator,

Please put this theread in Automotive. My computer screen jumped when I clicked the mouse, and jumped me into this forum. !!

Old 05-02-09, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
They need new friends...lol.

A speed bump/pothole/armadillo hit puts more stress on shocks and springs than a 400 lb person plopping down on a seat. IMHO
And he is only about 225! (But only 5 feet tall!) I told him that Mike, next door, who weighs about a real 400 or more, should ask his lady friend for a ride. ...or would that be ? I have seen cars leaning already, with heavy people inside. I have also seen cars ready to do a wheelie with 3 real heavy people riding in a backseat.

Old 05-02-09, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I lived in fla, there was a fat couple that you always saw driving up and down the road. The husband/boyfriend was the thinner of the 2 - he probably weighed about 300lbs. The wife/girlfriend was noticably heavier. They always bought cheap old cars and traded about once a year. The man always drove. You could always see it coming. They'd drive that old car until the passenger side springs broke. When you saw their car dragging on the right side, you knew within a week they'd have a new junker.

That said, I suspect your friend would be harder on the seat than he would the suspension.

Old 05-02-09, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
They'd drive that old car until the passenger side springs broke. When you saw their car dragging on the right side, you knew within a week they'd have a new junker.
Hmmmm. THIS isn't helping my friends case! LOL

You know what is weird about my story? My friend also told me that his lady friend weighs more than HE does. The pot and the kettle thing? But I don't think she weighs quite as much as she does, as I have seen her. She is a big-boned woman though. But maybe she either does not view herself as heavy, or perhaps SHE slides onto her car seat.

Old 05-02-09, 03:44 PM
Can happen...????? .....Yes...

LIKELY......NO!!!!!

Depending on the vehicle, Just like Pick up trucks, there is a PAYLOAD rating....Its on the Door sticker.......

That said....I personally have had 3 seperate instances where I have had to ALIGN a car with the driver sitting in it. As embarrassing as it was to ask, once The explanation was given, there were no hard feelings.

As mentioned, I would be more concerned with the seat frames, than struts and springs.

Old 05-02-09, 04:26 PM
nap
if the suspension is in good condition; good shock or struts, good springs, good over all condition, while the added weight would reduce the overall life of the suspension, it would be such a minimal amount that I wonder if it could even be quantified.

as to jumping in versus sliding in; again, it could reduce overall life but quantifying it would be difficult.

this could damage the seat suspension though. One salvation for the car suspension is missing on the seat suspension; shock absorbers. They are often referred to as "dampeners" and help prevent a sudden load, and the subsequent short term inertial pressures, from compressing the suspension to the point of causing the suspension to reach a point of maximum compression. That is damaging to a spring as well as to the supporting means which are subjected to undue stresses once the springs are totally compressed. The remaining stress must be absorbed by the mounting points of the springs causing flexations which can result in a fracture, if repeated enough times as well as breakage if the part is simply not designed to be subjected to that level of stress.

The other part is the cars suspension is designed to take thousands of pounds of pressure and do so repeatedly. A seats suspension is designed to be subjected to much lesser weights and subsequent stresses. Jumping into a seat, while producing a very limited (percentage wise) increase to a cars suspension, it can produce forces hundreds of percent more than a seat was designed to be exposed to regularly.

So, can jumping into a car cause damage?

Yes

so, maybe your friend needs to see if there are shock absorbers available for his butt.

Old 05-02-09, 05:32 PM
Weight limit

Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Can happen...????? .....Yes...

LIKELY......NO!!!!!

Depending on the vehicle, Just like Pick up trucks, there is a PAYLOAD rating....Its on the Door sticker.......

That said....I personally have had 3 seperate instances where I have had to ALIGN a car with the driver sitting in it. As embarrassing as it was to ask, once The explanation was given, there were no hard feelings.

As mentioned, I would be more concerned with the seat frames, than struts and springs.
I used to work next to a very good frame and front end man, He had an old ford friction bumper jack that he used to pull down on the front end to simulate weight in the car.

Old 05-02-09, 07:41 PM
Hey ecman, do you live in CT? I remeber one mf my regular customers at a gas station I worked at 10 years ago on the Berlin TPKE. drove a Saturn and the left side was about 3 inches lower than the right. This guy was so big he had to go through the single width door sideways. I wish I was making this up but its a true story. I halfway wondered if he should get a left strut built for a F-350 pickup put on his Saturn.

My parents had a Pinto back in the 70's. They had an overweight couple as friends. The friends sat in the back and the front wheels actually lifted of the ground a little bit.

Old 05-02-09, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=ecman51`;1562477
This is serious...seriously. There are times when they go weeks without speaking to each other over certain issues.[/QUOTE]

They allready sound like a married couple.

The answer is YES!
I use to have a "large" friend that allways sat in the same seat in the back and within a couple of months of cruising around my car sagged on the side where he sat.

This story is now legend among the old crowd.
We even gave the condition a name.......a name I can't repeat on this forum.

Old 05-03-09, 06:03 AM
I know this is a serious discussion, but I couldn't help but chuckle. The wife was just asking what the heck I was laughing at.

In all honesty, I do not see how a person who only weighs 225 could damage the car.

Old 05-03-09, 07:35 AM
I doubt that the 225 guy did it. I am about 235 lbs and my car doesn't lean like that. Woud be nice for an extra inch of two of headroom though, so if I sit up straight my head doesn't touch the ceiling. Could there have been an underlying issue such as a rotted seat support?

Old 05-03-09, 02:20 PM
Well. After reading all the latest replies, it looks like a mixed bag. I don't know what to think. What has been said sounds like - 'it could be, has happened, but not likely, but could be.' . Sort of like how are weather forecasts are, around here.

BTW, we are in Wisconsin. There are some strange people up here.

Old 05-03-09, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
If someone 225-250-275 made a cars springs shocks go out prematurely...I wouldn't want to buy that brand....

Old 05-27-09, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by retired wrench View Post
I used to work next to a very good frame and front end man, He had an old ford friction bumper jack that he used to pull down on the front end to simulate weight in the car.

4 or 5 50 pound bags of floor dry is what we used
Beer 4U2

Old 06-01-09, 07:18 PM
This thread is Freaking Funny!
My wife just came to ask me what I was laughing at!
Your friends need to buy a Ford F-250.
Question - why do we see really heavy people driving small cars??
I see it all the time!

Old 06-02-09, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"why do we see really heavy people driving small cars"

I remember when I was a kid, there was a couple we went to church with. He worked grave yard so he came straight from work on sunday morning - in his little foriegn car. His wife drove the merc marquis station wagon with the kids. She was about 5' tall and slendor, he was well over 6' and stocky. When they met in the parking lot she would fall out of the merc and he would crawl out of his car

Old 06-02-09, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by Square Head View Post
This thread is Freaking Funny!
My wife just came to ask me what I was laughing at!
Your friends need to buy a Ford F-250.
Question - why do we see really heavy people driving small cars??
I see it all the time!
I once saw a guy with a water head, driving a Chevette. I am not kidding. Looked like something straight out of "Horton Hatches the Egg".

The other day, I saw one of those older Granada-like cars with the bumper almost rubbing, as 3 heavier people were in the backseat.

Old 06-19-09, 05:23 PM
Smile can heavy people screw up your car

First let me say I understand this is obviously an importantant issue to you so I will try and help with my 2 cents. I used to weigh almost 500lbs 458 to be exact and because of my weight many people including my own family did not like me in there cars. The biggest problem was plopping down and leaning back to hard on the seat and yes I did brake more than a few seats. Now your friend is not as big as I was certainly not big enough to screw up a suspention but I believe all people should respect other peoples property. Big people and small. If you are a big person try and sit down gently as possible NO PLOPPING!Take your time and use your arms and legs to lift yourself from the seat. Many times if a car was to small for my big but I wouuld not ride in it.Yes it was embarrassing but it was not their fault I was tooo big. Or let them know, and let them make the choice. Exspecially if they already had shocks or suspention problems ect.. I hope my honesty helps you or someone els and remember kindness helps. Ive lost 230lbs not from jokes or ridicule but through kindness and understanding. Blessings thumper777

Old 06-20-09, 02:35 PM
Well, in theory anyway - if a person was extremely ginormous - then it stand to reason that that person could perhaps break someones car!

What about that 1200+ lb. guy they showed on tv who when he lays down in a bed, sort of levels out all over the bed, like a gelatinous glob. If he say sat in a Geo Metro(first he'd have to fit in the car -but I'm just making an extreme point here), I don't think that be too good. The car proibably wodu have a hard time accelerating, especially up a hill, and could damage the transmission.

Old 06-20-09, 05:52 PM
Cool

Even though I used to weigh 450lbs,I don't mean to be mean but I personally do not want some one in my daughters cavalier who weighs 500lbs. My daughters friend did ruin the seat of her car wich I had to replace. Her boyfriend swears he broke his shock and it too had to be replaced. I read on an earlier post there is a weight limit stated on cars. He was over 500lbs and when he broke my daughters seat and he just laughed.He too has a tendency to plop and not sit gently. Again I think all people should have more respect for other peoples property. I, like him knew I was a big person and needed to be careful or even at times have to look for other seating and I'm not just talking about car seats. Personally I think car companys should make cars more suitable for bigger people. Exspecially since obesity is now becoming an epedemic in this country. I'm down to 180lbs from 458lbs. and I still have to be carfull getting in and out of cars because I have a tendancycy to bend the outside of the seat on certain kinds of cars I personally think all car seats should be able to handle at least that much and more, for reasons stated above. thumper 777